Come grow with us!
Pacific Coast Fruit Company is a local, family-owned produce distributor that has proudly served our Pacific Northwest retail, wholesale and food service customers since 1977. We are now one of the largest independent produce distributors in the Northwest with distribution centers in Portland, Oregon and Seattle (Kent), Washington.
Our employees are a big part of our success, and we truly believe the words of our founder, Emil Nemarnik, who often said, Take good care of your employees, customers, shippers, and farmers and they will make you successful. As an Assistant Transportation Manager, you'll not only earn a competitive hourly wage and comprehensive benefits, but also open doors to a wide variety of advancement opportunities. Pacific Coast Fruit Company takes pride in developing employees and recruiting from within, and we hope this position is just the beginning of your career with us!
What you'll do...
- Assist the Transportation Manager in the day to day operations of the department, including but not limited to driver management, asset management, and route management
- Assist scheduling employees to accommodate transportation department needs, including maintaining list of on call drivers
- Route manifest creation
- Dispatch 2nd deliveries daily as needed
- Assist in managing overtime hours for the department
- Perform fleet walks, assessing vehicles trailer jacks, parking and cab cleanliness and document
- Make recommendations for changes in staffing as necessary to meet demands of workload. Participates in interviewing and selecting new employees
- Provide leadership and promote company values of Quality, Service & Integrity
- Work with all members of the transportation department to reinforce safety culture
- Develop and maintain reporting essential to the transportation department including but not limited to miles per gallon, on time delivery, productivity, safety, and profitability
- Attend and contribute to regularly scheduled department and driver meetings
- Assist the Transportation Manager in Performance management
- Assess need of consolidation of routes daily
What we look for...
- Bachelors degree preferred with 3+ years of transportation experience, or equivalent combination work experience and education
- Ability to lead a diverse group of associates by building relationships and trust built on mutual respect
- Strong written and verbal communication skills to effectively communicate within all levels of Pacific Coast Fruit Company
- Team-oriented, with the ability to look at whats best for the company when making decisions as well as effectively communicate with multiple department managers
- Capability to analyze data and reporting to recognize trends and ability to structure and report this data to improve department KPIs
- Advanced computer skills, with the ability to learn key programs essential to the transportation department
- Microsoft Office suite proficiency with emphasis in Excel and Access
What you'll gain...
- The opportunity to contribute, learn a lot, and have fun along the way
- Competitive salary and comprehensive benefit package including, medical, dental, vision, 401(k) and profit sharing plan as well as paid time off
- Regular and constructive performance feedback
- Lots of fresh produce you can eat or take home to your family through our generous employee purchase program