Acumen, Inc. is one of the nation's leading fiscal agents offering a portfolio of innovative financial management services backed by superior customer service. Our passion is to help people lead independent lives through exceptional participant-directed programs.
Acumen is a great place to work. Our employees make a positive difference in our client’s lives by what they do. Among many benefits to working here, we offer medical, dental and vision coverage, generous paid time off, and incentive bonuses to those who qualify.
The Payroll Tax Team Lead is responsible for the deposits and filings of Federal, State and local tax returns for a high volume, multi-state fiscal agent. The Payroll Tax Team Lead is involved in all aspects of domestic transaction tax compliance and research in the unique field of fiscal intermediaries. This position requires interaction with the finance group as well as other operations groups within the company.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Supervise a team of Tax Specialists, which involves direct and indirect responsibilities such as interviewing, selecting, training, motivating, providing performance evaluations, overseeing wage and salary administration, balancing workload and developing goals as well as procedures to ensure achievement of goals.
- Support the Payroll Manager and Tax team members by serving as the subject matter expert. Leverage the knowledge of the most successful processes and procedures utilized in the department to accomplish the overall goals of the organization.
- Ensure the team’s accurate processing of data by providing tax guidelines with documentation and training.
- Independently research, develop associated processes, and overcome tax-related barriers-of-entry when launching services in a new state or locality.
- Accurately prepare original and corrected federal, state and local tax returns, while making corresponding liability payments.
- Proactively prevent penalty and non-filling notice situations by leveraging a deadline-driven approach.
- Recommend and embrace technology-related tools and systems to increase accuracy, while simultaneously decreasing time-intensive tasks
- Actively provide training to the Tax team members to perform the most accurate and efficient tax processes.
- Work well independently with limited supervision and training.
- Work a flexible work schedule, including but not limited to weekends, week nights and holidays.
- Perform other work related activities as assigned.
- Excellent communication and relationship skills with all stakeholders, including clients, state entities, and colleagues.
- Ability to effectively and respectfully interact with client base that has varying levels of ability, educational backgrounds, authority, and ethnicity.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to train peers, including providing nontechnical and technical trainings.
- Ability to communicate effectively with diverse internal and external stakeholders to accomplish a task or reach an understanding diplomatically and respectfully
- Read and interpret written information and procedural documentation.
- Ability to communicate effectively in writing using accurate grammatical form.