Assist surgeons and other medical professionals in hospital operating rooms and similar environments. Prepare patients, rooms and equipment for pending surgical procedures. Assist during those procedures as part of a team of operating room professionals.
Key tasks and responsibilities (essential functions):
- Ensures that all of the equipment needed for the procedure is properly disinfected and assembled. Checks that the equipment is in working order. Places sterile solutions in areas where they can be easily reached by medical staff.
- Assists in maintaining a clean and safe environment according to surgical standards.
- Assists the surgeon with surgical cases under the direct supervision of the Circulating Registered Nurse. To prepare patients for surgery, surgical technicians may clean, shave and disinfect the areas of a patient's body that will be operated on. They then move patients to the OR and position them on the operating table, using sterile surgical drapes to cover them. Monitoring patients' vital signs and observing their status is another job responsibility of a surgical technician.
- Assists Materials Management and Clinical Lead RN in maintaining adequate level of supplies and instruments for use by OneCore Health.
- Adheres to established OneCore Health safety requirements and procedures to ensure a safe working environment.
- Demonstrates the importance of continuing education to the performance of responsibilities and growth in profession.
- Demonstrates the safe operation of equipment and machinery and follows procedures for reporting and correcting an unsafe situation.
Licensure and Certification: Certified Surgical Technologist preferred. Must maintain current BCLS, if not current when hired, must complete training within 90 days.
Experience/Education: High School Diploma or GED equivalent. Completion of Surgical Tech training at approved training Hospital or equivalent experience.
Environmental and physical requirements: Requires physical ability for long term standing, occasional sitting, crouching, kneeling, frequent walking, reaching with reaching above head and below waist. The employee must be able to read, write and speak English fluently, have cognitive skills for math, reading, filing and sterile technique skills. Requires communication skills to deal well with employees, patients, families and physicians. Vision for near, mid-range, far and accommodation. Hearing for low, medium, and high pitch. Job risk include exposure to blood and body fluids (high), contact with laser and chemicals, lifting of 30 - 75 pounds, and exposure to infectious disease.