Chief Financial Officer
At The Windward School, we are committed to helping students with language-based learning disabilities achieve their full potential in preparation for a successful return to a mainstream educational environment. Located in White Plains, NY, and Manhattan, NY, The Windward School educates more than 1000 students on three campuses.
THE WINDWARD SCHOOL MISSION STATEMENT
Windward is a coeducational, independent day school dedicated to providing a proven instructional program for children with language-based learning disabilities. The multisensory curriculum is designed for students of average to superior intelligence who can benefit from the unique educational experience provided. Through direct instruction in small class settings, a trained staff assists students to improve their language skills. Academic success, combined with opportunities for social and emotional growth within an intentionally diverse and inclusive setting, enables students to understand their learning differences, build confidence, and develop self-advocacy skills. Windward is committed to helping students achieve their full potential in preparation for a successful return to a mainstream educational environment. To meet these goals, the School provides ongoing training to its faculty based on the most current research and shares its expertise with the parent body, other educators, and the broader community.
The Windward School is nationally recognized for its development of instructional programs and best-in-class teacher professional development. In January 2020, the School launched The Windward Institute, which is dedicated to increasing childhood literacy and disrupting the status quo in education through providing professional development for The Windward School, educators, clinicians, parents/guardians, and non-Windward students; advocating for the rights of students with language-based learning disabilities; building leading-edge education-research partnerships; and expanding the reach and impact of the proven methodology of The Windward School. This is an exciting time for Windward as Head of School Jamie Williamson leads Windward into the next chapter of its nearly 100-year history.
This is an excellent opportunity for a transformational leader to partner with a talented Head of School, a dedicated board of trustees, and a hard-working team.
This position is the lead financial officer of The Windward School. The position has primary responsibility for managing and facilitating the functions of the business office, which includes payroll, facilities and vendor management.
The Chief Financial Officer (CFO) reports directly to and serves as a strategic partner to the Head of School and is a member of the Executive Team. The CFO serves on the Board of Trustees Finance Committee, as well as other committees as directed by the Board. The CFO provides leadership and management of the schools finances and is responsible for the supervision, coordination, and administration of all aspects of the Business Office, plant and facilities, risk management, employee management, and policy management. In partnership with the Head of School, the CFO maintains relationships with banks, professional accountants, legal counsel, and insurance companies.
RESPONSIBILITIES TO INCLUDE:
- Support the Head of School and the Board of Trustees in the development of school policies and procedures that support the mission of the school and safeguard the well-being of the school and its employees.
- Develop and manage, with the Head of School and Finance Committee, the annual operating budget, the long-range financial plan and budgets related to special projects and/or capital campaigns.
- Prepare regular financial reports for the Finance Committee and the Board which reflect the financial position of the school in comparison with the approved budget.
- Oversee all school purchasing, cash management, financial investments, banking activities, payroll and benefits program.
- Secure an annual audit of the school's financial records and financial positions.
- Oversee the preparation of financial records for annual independent audit and assist the audit team in preparation of form 990 and other returns, including the form 5500.
- Supervise the work of the business office staff and use standard accounting and bookkeeping procedures, to keep an accurate continuous record of the cash and financial position of the school and manage the financial operation of the school so that the institution remains financially stable.
- Work in collaboration with the Director of Human Resources to maintain and improve human resources functions, including assessing, writing, and implementing appropriate personnel policies; overseeing the preparation of payroll and benefits programs including health insurance and retirement programs; overseeing the administration of hiring, retention, termination, and personnel records; ensure all programs are in compliance with federal and state laws and regulations.
- Actively contributing and supporting the DEIB (Diversity, Equity, Inclusion & Belonging) initiatives of The School as well as working with the Director of DEIB to craft culturally sensitive and appropriate communications.
- Provide a regular report of expenditures for use of each department within the school.
- Manage risk at the school to ensure the safety of personnel and students in their use of the facilities and to maintain appropriate levels of insurance to protect the property and to cover the liability of the school; and
- Oversee the administration of financial assistance awards as a member of the Financial Aid Committee, working with the Head of School, the Associate Head of School, and the Director of Admission; support the re-enrollment process for students overseeing the compilation and mailing of enrollment contracts.
- To represent the school at various regional, state, and national associations relative to the role of being the lead financial officer.
- To perform other duties as assigned by the Head of School.
- To support the school and its leadership.