About the Organization: Preservation of Affordable Housing (POAH) is a national nonprofit organization whose mission is to preserve, create and sustain affordable, healthy homes that support economic security, racial equity and access to opportunity for all. POAH owns and operates more than 12,000 affordable homes at more than 120 properties in 11 states and the District of Columbia. POAH is based in Boston with offices in Chicago and Washington D.C.
POAH’s reach is national in scope, and its pursuit of the preservation mission is empowered by a focus on the business bottom line. Its strong reputation is the result of a demonstrated ability to craft complex financial transactions, tackle tough multi-family projects, and close deals that preserve the affordability of at-risk properties. The organization and its leaders are at the forefront of policy and legislative discussions around housing preservation, affordable housing finance and regulatory reform, including energy efficiency in the multifamily sector.
The POAH team is dedicated, creative and passionate. We believe a diverse and inclusive team is a stronger, smarter team, and we actively promote diversity and meaningful inclusion of different perspectives among our board, our staff, our partners, in our procurement of good and services, and at our communities. We understand that addressing structural racism and achieving racial equity are central to the work we do and we proactively integrate the issue of race in our housing work.
About the Opportunity: POAH is seeking a Washington DC-based team member to join its Real Estate Development group. This position will assist the team on our Barry Farm project, a 34 acre multi-phased neighborhood redevelopment in Anacostia’s Ward 8. This position will also support several other POAH projects in the area and possibly stretching to other parts of the country as we continue our growth. Development Associates assist support Project Managers in their day-to-day work, but importantly on the implementation and closings of their various real estate development projects. This entry level position provides an exciting opportunity participate in all phases of project execution while gaining an in depth understanding of the real estate development process. POAH fosters an environment that values individual professional growth within the framework of a supportive, team-based approach. The Associate would be expected to work across offices. Some of the role’s specific and essential tasks may include:
- Gathering & tracking the appropriate materials for financing applications and request for proposal responses. Organizing the submission process for said applications and request for proposals.
- Assembling the due diligence required for construction and permanent loan conversions and managing the associated closing checklists. This would include submission of organizational documents, board resolutions and votes, good standing certificates, insurance certificates, and wiring instructions.
- Maintaining the company database with respect to ongoing, internal reporting requirements.
- Soliciting and tracking responses for 3rd party vendors and contract creation.
- Prepare presentation materials for meetings.
- Other development project related tasks as requested by team members.
- Scheduling team meetings.
- Tracking team expenses and reimbursements.