The Senior Manager, AV reports to the Director of Exhibition Production and leads MOCA’s technical production and infrastructure across all departments including capital improvements; audio visual installation for MOCA’s exhibition program; and live production for MOCA performances and public programs. The Senior Manager, AV will lead the management and daily operations of the AV Department. Primary responsibilities include the supervision of all full time and temporary AV staff; overall project management from conception to implementation of all AV related to exhibitions, performances, and museum infrastructure; assisting with the development and oversight of annual departmental and project budgets. The Senior Manager, AV will provide active, collaborative leadership, identify and develop improved procedures and techniques, and work closely with curators, artists, and the full MOCA staff to design and plan AV for all exhibition, collection, performance, and event related projects as assigned. The position is tasked with creating a sustainable infrastructure aligned with MOCA’s mission, values and goals.
The Senior Manager, AV works closely with the Director of Exhibition Production; the Producer of Performance and Programs; The Director of Operations; and Associate Director of Events and Rentals to oversee the development, organization, and technical preparation, planning, and supervision of museum exhibitions, operations, performances, and events. The position provides leadership for all technical and production needs across the institution.
Responsibilities related to exhibition installation include, but are not limited to overseeing the technical design and implementation of equipment for contemporary exhibition installations; working directly with artists to conceive the most effective installation; receiving, mounting and dispersing media-based loans and works in the permanent collection; maintaining the media-based works in MOCA’s permanent collection, in consultation with MOCA’s registration department; and overseeing the execution of projections, audio installations, and lighting. MOCA’s performance program includes the regular presentation of international performance works and new commissions spanning dance, experimental theater and music. The Senior Manager, AV will have experience in live performance production, including rigging and power distribution; as well as extensive knowledge of current industry standards in regard to equipment and safety protocols.
The Senior Manager, AV provides technical leadership and staffing support for large museum events, including MOCA’s annual gala, as well as for rental client events, special corporate donor events, and organizational meetings and presentations.
The Senior Manager, AV will oversee and make recommendations to improve the technical capabilities of all MOCA’s event and performance facilities including WAREHOUSE, a 14000 sq ft multi disciplinary performance space; the Ahmanson Auditorium, a 130 seat theater venue, and The David Laventhol Board Room.
- Lead the planning, preparation, and implementation of technical installation and production for all of MOCA’s exhibitions, performances, and events.
- Oversee the retrofits and maintenance of MOCA’s performance and event spaces.
- Work with and manage staff and vendors to properly operate and maintain AV, sound and lighting equipment inventory and make recommendations for capital improvements to performance and event facilities as well as MOCA’s overall inventory.
- Oversee the maintenance and stewardship of all time-based media in MOCA’s permanent collection. Includes making recommendations for equipment upgrades, creating installation iteration reports, and inventorying and/or assessing the technical needs of incoming acquisitions.
- Ensure all technical aspects of an exhibition are maintained to an exceptional standard throughout its duration.
- Oversee, manage and provide technical guidance and training to AV technical staff (both full time and temporary) for the safe and efficient installation and successful operation of equipment related to exhibitions, programs and events. Identify, hire, train and maintain a pool of temporary employees to assist with the execution of all projects. Hire, train, schedule, manage and mentor full time staff members.