Acumen, Inc. is one of the nation's leading fiscal agents offering a portfolio of innovative financial management services backed by superior customer service. Our passion is to help people lead independent lives through exceptional participant-directed programs.
Acumen is a great place to work. Our employees make a positive difference in our client’s lives by what they do. Among many benefits to working here, we offer medical, dental and vision coverage, generous paid time off, and incentive bonuses to those who qualify.
The Payroll Tax Specialist is responsible for ensuring accurate and timely deposits and preparation of returns for all filing jurisdictions for Acumen Fiscal Agent, a high volume, multi-state fiscal agent and its customers
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Responsible for the timely deposits and filings for federal, state and local tax liabilities for all jurisdictions where Acumen Fiscal Agent and its clients do business.
- Files quarterly and annual unemployment taxes.
- Examines all payroll records to ensure proper recording of tax transactions and compliance with applicable laws.
- Completes monthly, quarterly, and annual tax reconciliations as appropriate to ensure accurate filings. May be required to perform audits more frequently depending on jurisdiction.
- Performs W-2 reconciliations and processes corrections as required.
- Apply for Acumen Fiscal Agent authorization to act as an appointed agent for federal and state tax liabilities.
- Investigates and resolves tax notices, penalties and questionnaire requests.
- Interact with Accounting and Payroll Departments to identify and resolve variances.
- Maintains up to date employer files within the company’s electronic records management system.
- Communicates effectively.
- Tasked with developing and pursing formal mentoring opportunities to further enhance training, partnership, onboarding and accuracy.
- Champions department and company culture, while taking a forward-looking and infectiously-positive stance.
- Promotes, supports, and spearheads DCI system implementation, while staying current on new releases.
- Identifies, tests and supports department efficiency-related processes and improvements; while questioning and (when applicable) designing new processes and procedures.
- Works closely with FASI & IT to enhance the current operations and automation capabilities of the Tax department.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
- Communicates effectively in individual or group situations including demonstrating active listening skills.
- Excellent customer relationship skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively in writing using accurate grammatical form and able to read and interpret written information.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.