Under the general supervision of the Assistant Branch Manager-Adult Services Supervisor, the Library Associate I provides high quality information, reader, technology, and circulation services to patrons of all ages while working at the library’s public service desks in the community. Consistently provides caring, non-judgmental customer service to all.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Provides information services, including readers advisory, reference, and technology assistance to patrons of all ages in person, via phone, email, online, etc.
- Conducts research using an array of resources, including the library’s databases and digital services.
- Provides technology instruction to the public in a variety of areas, including library software and hardware, personal device assistance, digital media and downloadables, and internet and computer usage. Assists customers with photocopying, printing, and self-check machines.
- Actively markets library services, programs, and materials to the community.
- Merchandises collections. Recommends and reviews books and other library materials through various media outlets, including the CCPL website.
- Works with supervisor to develop and implement department or branch goals within overall system goals.
- Utilizes the library’s circulation database to search for, check out, and place holds on materials requested by patrons.
- Carries out and explains library policies and procedures; resolves problems and concerns in a positive manner.
- Registers patrons for new library cards. Accurately enters data and updates patron records.
- Calculates and receives fines and fees.
- Maintains accurate service statistics.
- Monitors and maintains collection.
- Shelves library materials of all types. Processes and sorts deliveries and empties book drops.
- May serve on system-wide committees.
- Performs ongoing assignments of moderate to high difficulty.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Promotes and maintains a high standard of excellent customer service, both internal and external.
- Demonstrates ability to work with diverse populations.
- Models positive attitude towards library technology and change.
- Maintains courteous, friendly, and constructive relationships with all patrons and staff.
- Promotes and advocates a positive library image in the community.
- Maintains professional growth and awareness through training, self-directed learning and other means to stay abreast of current and emerging trends in the community and in libraries.
- Performs job in keeping with the policies and procedures of the Cecil County Public Library.