About the Bender JCC:
The Bender Jewish Community Center in Rockville, Maryland is a premier community center at the heart of Jewish life in Montgomery County, operating a full-scale health and fitness center, pre-school, day camp and variety of education and arts programs.
We create a welcoming and inclusive environment, connecting the people of our Jewish community with each other, Israel, and the broader community. We inspire individuals of all ages and backgrounds to enhance their social, physical, intellectual and spiritual well-being through programs of excellence rooted in Jewish values.
Our core values are
- Welcoming and inclusive (Hachnassat Orchim) – We open our doors to everyone and strive to create an inclusive and accommodating environment for people of different backgrounds, abilities and means.
- Respect (Kavod) – We seek to create a town square where our community can be exposed to diverse viewpoints and grapple with difficult issues in a respectful and civil manner.
- Jewish Peoplehood (Klal Yisrael) – We create connections to the people, history, culture, and land of Israel and with the Jewish people as a whole, welcoming all Jewish traditions and backgrounds.
- Community (Kehilla) – We facilitate relationship building and a sense of belonging to create communities across all stages of life.
- Working together (B’yachad) – We partner and collaborate with Jewish and secular organizations to build a stronger community.
- Wellness (Shmirat HaNefesh v’HaGuf) – We promote the well-being and fitness of every person.
- Spirit (Ruach) – We infuse spirit and fun into our activities and programs.
Why this role matters:
Our floor staff is essential the Bender JCC, providing a constant presence in the fitness center and associated areas. Floor staff maintain a clean and safe environment, engaging and assisting all members and guests. This is an exciting opportunity to work directly with our community and have a significant impact on the experience of members and guests.
- Be present on the fitness center floor or associated fitness areas
- Engage members and guests in their health and well being
- Maintain a safe and clean environment
- Effectively communicate usage and other activities through verbal and written channels
- Wear designated staff uniform of red fitness shirt, black or khaki pants or shorts and athletic shoes
- Assist members in the use of equipment as needed
- Engage members in conversation about JCCGW programs and associated activities
- Wipe down all parts of equipment including the seats
- Monitor locker rooms
- Tactfully enforce fitness center rules and policies
- Monitor and refill touchless soap and equipment wipes dispensers
- Complete communications logs at the end of each shift
- Be aware of equipment issues, malfunctions or damage and report these to the fitness manager or the fitness director
- Manage TV and radio throughout the fitness center
- Refrain from using personal hand held devices while on duty unless for emergency reasons
- Open and close the fitness center per the daily shift checklist