The Director of Adoption Services is responsible for executing Lutheran Social Services of the National Capital Area’s (LSSNCA) strategic plan for adoption services. The Director of Adoption Services will grow LSSNCA’s adoption services, identifying new markets and building partnerships. The Director of Adoption Services will ensure that LSSNCA offers high quality adoption-related services to include domestic and international home studies for the District of Columbia (D.C.) and Maryland residents engaged in domestic or international adoptions, adopting from foster care (or a public adoption agency),“Break the Seal” cases, program training/education, and monitoring the quality of service delivery to ensure compliance with jurisdictional regulations and accreditation guidelines for adoption services programs.
- Provides leadership and coordination of outreach and marketing activities for the purpose of promotion and advocacy of adoption services.
- Identifies areas for program development and advances the organization’s business plan for adoption.
- Cultivates partnerships to increase referral sources.
- As program grows, and revenue supports, responsible for hiring and supervising licensed, clinical social workers to staff the adoption team.
- Recruits adoptive families and contributes to public knowledge about LSSNCA by conducting informational meetings, holding pre-adoption seminars, and performing other outreach activities as appropriate.
- Screens prospective homes by identifying potential risk factors and strengths while conducting visits to the prospective parents’ homes.
- Assists families with completing paperwork for home study processes.
- Conducts in-depth interviews with all parties and gather necessary information to develop/complete home studies for prospective foster/adopt parents.
- Writes comprehensive studies about referred families, evaluating skills and appropriateness for adoption, utilizing SAFE materials.
- Monitors homes ensuring licensing standards, state laws, and regulatory requirements are being met.
- Makes post-placement visits to the adoptive home and develops a post-placement report detailing the child’s and parent's adjustment to the placement.
- Maintains timely and accurate client records in compliance with local, state, and other governmental requirements.
- Safely and effectively monitors client activities, including those of caregivers, as well as children and youth.
- Develops an ongoing communication, support, and a training plan for adoptive parents that ensures children and families are receiving the best possible care, supports. and partnership
- Performs work and represents LSSNCA in accordance with our mission, vision, and values when conducting outreach activities and/or providing services to clients and/or answering inquiries from members of the public.
- Ensures ongoing compliance with clearances, training, and licensing documents for all families on the worker’s caseload.
- Maintains current knowledge of domestic and international Adoption Laws, licensing, and service regulations.
- Provides leadership, coaching, support and supervision to program staff, interns, and others as needed.
- Assists in the development of program budgets and proposals.
- Prepares monthly reports and monthly statistical data.
- Develops and maintain relationships with placement provider agencies.
- Serves as a mandated reporter and submit reports to state child welfare authorities (Child Protective Services) when necessary.
- Attends all conferences, seminars, and meetings related to program activities.
- Participates in agency and staff meetings and in-service trainings.
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Education Requirements
- Master’s Degree in Social Work with clinical licensures in both MD and DC (LCSW/LICSW)
- 5+ years of progressive leadership experience in child welfare and adoption
- A minimum of two years of supervisory experience
- Experiencing developing and managing program budgets
- SAFE trained preferred
- Case management experience
- Experience and knowledge in the Adoption Services delivery system
- Experience and knowledge in Foster Care delivery system in D.C. (optional)
- Valid driver’s license
- Clean driving record
- A personal vehicle with valid insurance, or access to a vehicle is a plus
- Able to successfully pass background check and drug screen
- Able to successfully pass required child registries and criminal background checks
- Physical and TB Test required
- COVID-19 vaccination mandatory
- Knowledge of international and local adoption laws and processes
- Program development skills
- Excellent oral, written and inter-personal communication skills; strong public speaking/presentation skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Office 365
- Attention to detail and accuracy; strong organizational skills
- Ability to promote professional growth for program staff
- Knowledge of community resources and services systems
- General knowledge of fiscal management
- Ability to operate and manage a culturally diverse workplace
Just Some of the Amazing Benefits Offered
- Fun, Friendly Work Environment
- Flexible Work Schedule with Teleworking Available
- Paid Training
- Health, Dental and vision Insurance
- Health Reimbursement Arrangement and Flexible Spending Account
- 401K and Match Options Available
- Paid Life Insurance
- Paid Holidays
- Accrued Time Off
- Two (2) Floating Holidays Yearly
- Reimbursable Expenses
Reasonable Accommodations Statement
To accomplish this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform, with or without reasonable accommodation, each essential function satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to help enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Lutheran Social Services of the National Capital Area does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, or military service.