The American Psychiatric Association (APA), the main professional organization of psychiatrists and trainee psychiatrists in the United States, and the largest psychiatric organization in the world, is seeking exceptional and motivated candidates to serve as an Associate Director, Social Determinants of Mental Health (SDOMH) within the Division of Diversity and Health Equity (DDHE). Under the leadership of the Deputy Medical Director & Chief of DDHE, the primary responsibilities of the Associate Director will be to coordinate education, awareness, research and policy and information dissemination activities related to SDOMH. This leader is responsible for understanding SDOMH and providing management for the planning and implementation of APA’s SDOMH initiatives. Responsibilities align with the APA’s fourth strategic initiative of supporting and increasing diversity within APA; serving the needs of evolving, diverse, underrepresented and underserved patient populations; and working to end disparities in mental health care. The incumbent may perform other duties as assigned that are logically related to the position.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provides project management as well as strategic support in the planning, implementation, evaluation, and coordination of key SDOMH work streams, projects, and initiatives.
- Conduct data research on SDOMH, the mental health care delivery system, access to mental health care services, the public health system, to create fact sheets, policy briefs, communications materials, and presentations.
- Analyze data to produce reports, presentations, etc. that provide insights to help to address SDOMH.
- Develops summaries of recommendations, draft implementation plans, and status reports and other materials as needed to support effective community engagement and implementation.
- Track data and prepares report monthly internally to determine trends, pivots and recommendations needed to have greater impact for key SDOMH work streams, projects, and initiatives.
- Increase public awareness of the impact of SDOH on mental health through the media, public events, publications, and issue campaigns.
- Develop educational programs, organize and conduct workshops, seminars, conferences, and presentations regarding social determinants of mental health and areas for improvement.
- Network with national colleagues and experts to stay current on research and emerging issues in policy and practice around the country.
- Initiate/update programs and initiatives to advance the adoption of social determinants of mental health mindset across the organization.
- Participate in other committees which are involved in SDOMH.
- Serve as a DDHE Staff Liaison to assigned APA Components.
- Participates in relevant professional organizations and committees and represents APA and DDHE at key events.
- Establishes and maintains frequent communication, both written and oral, to ensure alignment of work.
- Other duties as assigned.