Come grow with us!
Pacific Coast Fruit Company is a local, family-owned produce distributor that has proudly served our Pacific Northwest retail, wholesale and foodservice customers since 1977. We are now one of the largest independent produce distributors in the Northwest, with distribution centers in Portland, Oregon, and Seattle (Kent), Washington.
Our employees are a big part of our success, and we truly believe the words of our founder, Emil Nemarnik, who often said, Take good care of your employees, customers, shippers, and farmers, and they will make you successful.
As a Machine Operator, you'll not only earn a competitive hourly wage and comprehensive benefits but also open doors to a wide variety of advancement opportunities. Pacific Coast Fruit Company takes pride in developing employees and recruiting from within, and we hope this position is just the beginning of your career with us!
This position is responsible for performing various tasks to set up, operate, monitor, troubleshoot, and perform preventive maintenance on assigned machines and prepping, cutting, slicing, and packaging all specialty items for customers. Duties may include stocking inventory for the day's orders; cutting, slicing, cleaning, and peeling produce; weighing packages; checking the quality of produce; cleaning work stations; and following directions of the supervisor.
Working in a cold environment is required. Must be able to lift up to 50 #. Must be able to work with heavy machinery and push up to 200#.
What you'll do...
- Set up machines and changeover set-ups as required.
- Safely and efficiently operate production equipment.
- Read and follow standard work for the assigned machine.
- Verify orders and product components at the beginning and throughout the shift
- Observe machine operation to detect malfunctions and report problems to the Department Supervisor.
- Monitor quality control throughout the entire production process; in the event food safety or food quality may be compromised during the production process, operators are responsible for communicating with the production supervisor and quality assurance department.
- Responsible for completing customer orders in an accurate and timely manner.
- Follow all safety procedures, including and not limited to wearing all required personal protective equipment (PPE)
- Responsible for supporting and maintaining Food Safety and Quality programs and practices to produce safe quality foods that meet regulatory and company requirements.
- Follow GMPs and Safety Guidelines
- Other duties may be assigned
What we look for...
- 1+ years of experience working in a manufacturing production environment
- 1+ years of experience in food processing machine operation
- Requires standing for long periods, bending, and twisting work in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to perform basic math calculations including addition, subtraction, and multiplication
- Good organization skills
- Ability to read and scale
- Ability to work in a refrigerated environment (36 degrees)
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs
- Able to work with heavy machinery and push or pull up to 200lbs
- Must be able to work weekends and holidays
- Maintain reliable attendance, including overtime as needed.
- Work in a fast-paced, multi-tasking environment.
- Have good oral and written communication skills (ability to read and write in English, as is affected by direction and paperwork).
What you'll gain...
- The opportunity to contribute, learn a lot, and have fun along the way
- Competitive salary of $17.50-$19 hourly depending on experience
- Immediate access to earned wages through Daily Pay
- Comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision, 401(k), and profit-sharing plan as well as paid time off
- Regular and constructive performance feedback
- Lots of fresh produce you can eat or take home to your family through our generous employee purchase program