Civic Works’ Energy Programs social enterprise is leading efforts to ensure that local residents are able to both reduce their energy costs and decarbonize their homes. We make it easy and affordable for community members across Central Maryland to go solar and upgrade their energy efficiency. As an integral part of Civic Works’ job training center, we also play a pivotal role in expanding access to quality careers in the clean energy sector. This includes promoting job quality standards among program contractors, and creating on-the-job training opportunities for residents impacted by systemic inequities.
Civic Works’ green initiatives have been highlighted by Green for All, The Baltimore Sun, The Washington Post, the US Conference of Mayors, and the Maryland Sustainable Growth Commission. Join us in creating a more just and equitable clean energy economy. Learn more about our transformative residential energy programs at http://energyprograms.civicworks.com, and our broader workforce development initiative at http://sustainablecareers.civicworks.com
Civic Works is looking for a highly motivated, and mission-driven individual to lead the growth of our Energy Programs social enterprise. Our ambitious expansion plans are in response to the unprecedented support, funding and investments in clean energy and home decarbonization.
Leading a rapidly growing team of program staff and managers, this individual will have a unique opportunity to support the advancement of clean energy efforts throughout Maryland, contributing to environmental sustainability, energy savings, and positive community impacts. This individual will also lead the expansion of Energy Programs’ on-the-job training operations, increasing access to high quality careers within the clean energy sector.
Responsibilities include oversight of program operations, team leadership, budget management, and strategic planning. This role presents a unique opportunity for a leader to ensure that the transition to a clean energy economy benefits all Central Maryland communities, especially those most impacted by systemic inequities.
- Lead and develop program managers and frontline staff.
- Manage a program of 15 staff members, aiming to double the team within a year.
- Hire and retain high-performing staff and managers.
- Set expectations and maintain policy manuals.
- Establish outcome-based goals with staff and monitor progress toward meeting them.
- Provide regular feedback and coaching. Address performance issues directly and with corrective plans as needed.
- Identify and support career advancement plans, identifying internal and external opportunities for professional development.
- Cultivate a team environment emphasizing cooperation, accountability, and continuous improvement.
- Foster teamwork and collaboration across the energy programs team, and support the integration of the team across Civic Works and the Center for Sustainable Careers department.
- Energy Programs Fund Development
- Develop and strengthen a portfolio of diversified restricted and unrestricted funding sources, including government contracts, private foundation grants, and contractor referral fees.
- Build and maintain relationships with new and existing funders.
- Work with the fund development team to craft compelling grant proposals with clear, measurable outcomes.
- Analyze data in order to demonstrate community and environmental impact.
- Energy Programs Grant and Budget Management
- Oversee a budget of $4 million, and lead significant revenue growth over the next several years in line with the expansion of the clean energy sector.
- Oversee complex strategies for braiding public funding sources across the programs, managing grant compliance, household eligibility requirements, expenditure tracking, and reporting processes.
- Collaborate with the grants administration team to implement efficient and quality grant reporting, including the compilation of program and financial data, and supporting documentation.
- Oversee data collection processes and ensure they meet funder and program requirements.
- Ensure program operations are in compliance with funder requirements.
- Develop budget forecasts, track revenue and expenses, and ensure spending stays aligned with grant and program budgets.
- Oversee all invoicing and ensure a timely turnaround from installation to payment.
- Program Expansion, Development, and Evaluation
- Lead significant business and program expansion, aligned with growing investments in clean energy and home decarbonization.
- Spearhead business development and planning to grow Civic Works’ in-house on-the-job training capacity.
- Oversee feasibility planning and business development to expand social enterprise services and increase affordability for low- and moderate- income Baltimore area residents
- Continuously evaluate and improve the effectiveness of program operations. Analyze data to identify areas for improvement.
- Design, develop and implement change management strategies and plans.
- Maintain and build positive relationships with important industry stakeholders and community partners, such as the utilities, state and local government agencies, industry associations, and community-based organizations.
- Social Enterprise Service Delivery, On-the-Job Training, and Job Quality
- Oversee all general energy program marketing and branding, including through print collateral and online platforms.
- Oversee all customer acquisition activities including community events, phone banking, and community presentations, as well as online engagement through email and social media.
- Oversee client intake and engagement for various services, ensuring eligibility, grant compliance, a positive experience, and the resolution of any complaints.
- Oversee all phases of construction for energy efficiency, solar and roofing projects, including assessment, installation, and quality control.
- Oversee subcontractor partnerships, including recruitment, vetting, compliance, and ranking based on performance and job quality criteria.
- Oversee the integration of Civic Works’ job quality and job training priorities across Energy Programs’ subcontracting strategy.
- Oversee on-the-job training experience and coordination with training personnel around job placement and retention.