Job Title: Laboratory Manager
Classification: Exempt / Salary
Reports to: VP, Planning & Quality Program
- Passion for hops, quality control and brewing.
- BA/BS in Chemistry, Biology or related field; or minimum of three years related experience.
- Excellent communication and computer skills, strongly detail oriented and able to easily multi-task.
- Must be able to perform required tests, and interpret and communicate results.
- Must be able to independently initiate, prioritize, and perform or solve work problems and ultimately achieve work objectives and meet deadlines.
- Must be able to work independently and as a team member.
- Must be able to effectively communicate in written and verbal form with co-workers, supervisor and management.
- Follow written (Standard Operating Procedures -SOP’s, company memos & emails) and verbal Instructions.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office (Excel, Word and Outlook).
- Must be able to use ERP systems to perform data entry & print reports.
- Possess a strong work ethic to positively contribute to the company’s mission, vision, values and environmental policy and quality policy.
- Must have a positive attitude, support co-workers to obtain desired objectives, and assist others in their contributions.
- Ability to adapt to changing paces and processes quickly.
- Ability to wear appropriate personal protective equipment (in required areas) for extended periods of time.
- Ability to sit/stand/walk for extended periods of time and access stairs and ladders.
- Ability to bend, stoop, squat occasionally to frequently.
- Ability to lift (up to 50 lbs), carry (up to 44 lbs) occasionally to frequently within normal limits.
- Handle hazardous chemicals safely according to their MSDS’s and SOP’s.
- Attentive to the task and own surroundings.
The purpose of this position is to provide technical information on products and develop and implement innovative testing methods for the company, providing guidance, instruction and leadership to the lab team.
- Able to perform analysis using laboratory SOP’s.
- Ensure protocols for SOPs, calibrations, documentation and lab safety and best practices are being followed.
- Ensure all samples are accounted for and checked into lab system.
- Responsible for ensuring all samples are analyzed according to SOP’s and internal/external customer requirements.
- Responsible ensuring timely results for operations and internal/external customer.
- Communicate lab results to internal and external customers.
- Submit data to check sample services and track results against industry average.
- Ensure process controls are being followed and tracked.
- Ensure equipment calibration and maintenance are up to date and recorded per SOP’s.
- Manage system for retained samples.
- Communicate with suppliers and maintain lab supply levels.
- Preparation and management of laboratory chemical waste for disposal.
- Provide Certificates of Analysis as requested by sales reps and customers.
- Collaborate with operations on production sample analysis. Investigate any outlier samples and arrange re-sample/re-analysis as necessary.
- Ensure that company laboratory safety policies; federal, state and local safety and environmental regulations that relate to laboratories are observed.
- Actively participate on company’s Safety Committee.
- Stay informed of scientific research relating to the hop industry.
- Continuously look for ways to improve process efficiency and notify immediate supervisor of observations and recommendations.
- Maintain sanitary and safe work environment and follow safety requirements.
- May actively participate on company’s Safety Committee.
- Ensure that company safety policies as well as federal, state and local safety and environmental regulations are observed.
- Must have a complete understanding of company’s policies, SOPs, QPs, EPs, HACCP and cGMP that pertain to their department to ensure quality, safety, efficiency and sustainability.
- Must adhere to all company policies.
- Examine documents, materials, and products and monitor work processes to assess completeness, accuracy and conformance to standards and specifications.
- Follow all SOPs in a given area.
- Perform all other duties as assigned by Manager and/or designee.