The Fund for Public Health in New York City, (FPHNYC) is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization that is dedicated to the advancement of the health and well-being of all New Yorkers. To this end, in partnership with the New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene (DOHMH), FPHNYC incubates innovative public health initiatives implemented by DOHMH to advance community health throughout the city. It facilitates partnerships, often new and unconventional, between government and the private sector to develop, test, and launch new initiatives. These collaborations speed the execution of demonstration projects, effect expansion of successful pilot programs, and support rapid implementation to meet the public health needs of individuals, families, and communities across New York City.
The Director of Grants and Contracts serves as a team leader overseeing the day-to-day management of grants and contracts received by FPHNYC for projects within a bureau or division of the NYC Health Department. The Director will have a wide range of responsibilities related to grants and contracts administration, including creating systems for tracking goals and data, training staff in sound grants management practices, ensuring efficient management and compliance with donor requirements, internal policies and procedures and other applicable legal and regulatory guidelines, and additional administrative responsibilities.
Critical to the success of the Director of Grants and Contracts is the ability to build relationships and work collaboratively with diverse teams. The successful candidate must have strong time management and problem-solving skills with ability to organize and prioritize workload, identify problem areas and take action to meet deadlines. Finally, we seek someone who can both see the big picture and focus on the small details related to grants & contracts management.
The Director of Grants and Contracts reports to the Chief Program Officer (CPO). The Director will supervise and oversee the work of a team of four to six Grants and Contracts Managers, each maintaining a portfolio of grants/projects with varying levels of complexity and with different funders and agencies.
Grants and Contract Management
- Lead team of post-award specialists to ensure timely and effective management and administration of a diversified portfolio of grants and projects
- Provide extensive guidance and training for grants management, compliance, systems, and reporting
- Work with Grants and Contract Managers so that contracts, subawards, grants and cooperative agreement approvals, extensions, modifications, close-outs and other actions are handled promptly and effectively
- Provide expertise and guidance on contract terms, cost structures, and compliance requirements
- Facilitate resolution of contractual and compliance issues
- Review of competitive solicitations, contract scopes of work, budgets, etc.
- Develop and maintain expert understanding of specific compliance requirements of various donors, e.g. CDC, HRSA, NIFA, NYS Department of Health, NYC Department of Health, etc.
- Work collaboratively with the Chief Program Officer and unit director to develop best practices, identify opportunities to streamline and improve workflows and processes, and ensure internal systems are maintained and up to date with all current awards and obligations
- Keep up to date on latest grant management best practices
- Provide relevant updates and reports to Health Departmental leadership, as needed
Leadership and Management
- Lead the planning, recruitment, and cultivation of a small, high-performing grants management team to support the execution of strategies and processes
- Coach and develop the team using a supportive and collaborative approach on a consistent basis, inspiring confidence, trust, respect, and transparency within the team
- Establish team goals, priorities and work plans that align with organizational goals
- Promote a culture of high performance and continuous improvement that values learning and a commitment to quality
- Be proactive in developing solutions and emphasizing teamwork in solving problems
Tracking and Performance
- Help strengthen existing systems for data collection, compliance, benchmarking, reporting, and audit management for all contracts
- Oversee ongoing grant monitoring activity and ensure systems are in place for tracking reporting to donors
- Collaborate on the development and analysis metrics for measuring efficiency of departmental processes