Girard College is a full-scholarship boarding school that fosters intellectual curiosity, social development and emotional growth in academically focused students from underserved communities. We ensure every student the opportunity and the means to achieve excellence and preparation for advanced education through purposeful academic and residential programs.
Girard College seeks an experienced Language Arts teacher for the Elementary/Middle School beginning September 2022. Our teacher will need to implement developmentally appropriate curriculum and instruction, aligned to discipline specific standards. Work collaboratively with teachers in other disciplines as well as the residential staff responsible for the high school students. Participate fully in the college academic and residential community. The position reports directly to the Dean of Elementary/Middle School.
Responsibilities of Girard College Teachers Include but are not limited to:
Academic Achievement and Character Development:
- Create a positive, achievement-oriented and structured learning environment.
- Motivate students to achieve high academic and behavioral standards
- Investment in students and families in order to achieve our standard for academic success, and to meet our Core Values
- Utilize data to drive instruction and learning intervention
A Mindset for Professional Growth and Development:
- Collaborate with building leader, instructional coaches, grade level / department chairs and school team to continuously improve instructional, culture building and leadership skills
- Participate enthusiastically in all professional development, instructional planning, teacher / residential collaborative team meetings, and data analysis meetings
- Function as a school wide partner in helping to raise student achievement and character for all students in the school.
- Reinforcing school-wide expectations and volunteering to take on additional activities as needed to improve school academics and culture.
Desired Teacher Characteristics:
- Strong instructional and classroom management skills.
- High level or personal organization and planning.
- Team player: maturity, humility, grit, flexible, follow-through, sense of humor, open to feedback and a “roll-up-my-sleeves” attitude.
- Strong belief in the Girard College mission and education model.
- Mastery of and enthusiasm for a growth mindset towards personal/professional growth, student outcomes, and subject matter.