TITLE: Head Librarian
REPORTS TO: Director of the Conservatory
STATUS: 50% FTE (20 Hours a Week)/Exempt/Some Weekends and Evenings
WORKING LOCATION: Hybrid (Work from Home and On-Site) A.C.T. Campuses
PAY RATE: $ 32,240.00 Annual Salary
American Conservatory Theater is an essential gathering place that brings artists and communities together to inspire and provoke. Under the leadership of Artistic Director Pam MacKinnon and Executive Director Jennifer Bielstein, A.C.T.’s mission is to engage the spirit of the San Francisco Bay Area, activate stories that resonate, promote a diversity of voices and points of view, and empower theater makers and audiences to celebrate liveness. A.C.T. values inclusion, transformational learning, participation, and rigorous fun. A.C.T. is a Tony Award–winning nonprofit theater serving almost 200,000 people in the San Francisco Bay Area annually through theater, training, and education and community programs.
ABOUT A.C.T.’S CONSERVATORY
The conservatory department at A.C.T. hosts numerous theater-centered classes, training programs, and performance opportunities. The conservatory supports A.C.T.’s values of lifelong and transformational learning for all. The conservatory strives to promote inclusive spaces for everyone to exercise their talents, from recreational purposes to rigorous training towards becoming an artist.
The Head Librarian oversees the management and staffing of A.C.T.’s Melissa Smith Yandell Smith library; its main collection at the Toni Rembe Theater, and its satellite branch at 30 Grant.
RESPONSIBILITES (please note, this list is not exhaustive, but rather a representation of job duties)
- Maintain library locations for ease of access and to create an inviting and supportive learning environment.
- Work with database vendors to maintain licensing contracts.
- Work with the marketing department to create materials and campaigns to increase awareness and visibility of the library to increase patronage.
- Maintain documentation of library policies, membership agreements, and library standard operating procedures.
- Set library operating hours that serve library patron and A.C.T. program needs, while balancing given resources.
- Seek out, create, and maintain partnerships with other organizations that may have need and use of the library.
- With the IT department, maintain basic technology for patrons to be able to view archival footage on-site.
- Advocate for the library and its needs among the conservatory department and A.C.T. at large.
- Attend conservatory staff meetings to update on library operations and learn about conservatory department library needs.
- Develop and implement policies and procedures regarding circulation; including checking out materials, communicating due dates, late fees, and processing returns.
- Maintain library collection; including, determining which materials reside at the main collection and which materials reside at satellite branches, and executing circulation between multiple locations.
- Maintain cataloguing and shelving of the library collection.
- Research and purchase new materials for the collection, with a focus on including playwrights and plays with themes and characters focusing on historically underrepresented communities.
- Maintain Library Integrated System, including communicating with service vendor on updates and troubleshooting.
- Recruit, train, schedule, and build a sense of community with library volunteers.
- Create, distribute, and maintain library volunteer schedule to ensure staffing of library during set open hours.
- Create and update library volunteer instructions that accommodate many volunteer access needs; e.g., large print, pictures, guided videos, etc.