Gotham Greens is seeking a dynamic Production Supervisor that is responsible for the day-to-day management of the Packing House (PH) and Production Area and supervision of the Packers. The Production Supervisor reports directly to the Assistant Plant Manager. This is a hands-on role requiring an individual is a team player, one who is willing to roll up their sleeves and isn’t afraid to get dirty. The ideal candidate is passionate about sustainable agriculture and embraces Gotham Greens’ core values and mission
Prior experience in the natural and organic food industry a plus but not required. This is an opportunity for an enthusiastic, self-motivated and organized individual to assume a position at a rapidly growing, innovative, disruptive company in the 21st-century food system.
What You'll Do
Management of Packers
- PH Packers report to Production Supervisor
- Ensure PH Packers are punctual and work quickly and effectively
- Train new assistants in the proper way to do tasks, handle leaves, and proper cleaning & sanitation methods of produce pace and Timing
- Ensure the cases are packed according to pacing/timing chart
- Complete pacing chart daily
- Review pacing chart with Operations Manager daily
- Manage assistants to pack carefully, delicately, quickly
- Coordinate pace and timing with Greenhouse Supervisor
- Evaluate effectiveness of packing methods and process
- Evaluate effectiveness of PH Packers
- Consistently work with Plant Manager/Grower s to improve packing methods and processes
- Coordinate pace and timing with GH, record keeping, and pests and leaf health daily
Food Safety program
- Ensure staff is following all proper food safety requirements and ensure timely completion of all necessary logs.
- Ensure proper hand washing and use of gloves, aprons, and hairnets
- Ensure PH Packers maintain clean clothes, personal hygiene, and good health (e.g. no coughing, etc.
- Supervise Packers adherence to the Packing House dress code and packing regulations, (e.g. no earphones, no hoods, footwear specifications, no food, drinks, etc.)
- Ensure clean work areas, bins, trays, scales, tables. No mobile phones or food on packing tables.
- Ensure that soiled or dropped leaves are not packed
- Ensure coolers are clean and temperatures are stable
- Inspect and weigh produce; discard leaves as necessary; ensure no bugs, damaged leaves, tip burned leaves or leaves dropped on floor enter package
- Monitor leaves for pests or pathogens and reports to Greenhouse Supervisor
Daily delivery loading coordination
- Assist in truck loading as needed.
- Assist in loading boxes on to U-Boats and Pallets, carrying boxes to loading areas, loading cases onto trucks
- Ensure loading time is quick, efficient, and safe
- Evaluate the effectiveness of loading procedures
- Ensure staff safety to minimize injury, lifting strain, etc.
- Work with Operations Manager ongoing basis to improve loading procedures
PH and Storage area cleanliness and maintenance
- Maintenance and cleanliness of Packing House furniture, tools, floors, and sinks
- Maintenance and cleanliness of walk-in coolers
- Maintenance and cleanliness of storage areas
- Maintenance and cleanliness of front and back stairs and roof area around the greenhouse
Daily PH record keeping
- Pace charts
- Pack Logs
- Food Safety Logs as assigned
- Cooler inventory
- Cooler temperatures
- Supply Inventory Logs
- Report supply needs and inventory to Operations Manager weekly
Assist in Daily Tasks as needed
- Track and order labels and corrugated
- Work with third-party vendors and suppliers to resolve and Packing House and Production supply issues
- Order and monitor inventory levels of all packing and harvesting supplies for PH and GH
- Cover for Plant Manager and/or Sales and Logistics and provide support to NY region when related staff in out of the office
- Complete weekly pack room reports
- Manage labor costs, employee schedules, sick time, and PTO, minimize OT, and maintain a sense of urgency and daily efficiency.
- Professionally address employee concerns and complaints
- Schedule cleaning and maintenance of the GH and PH and assist in the hands-on cleaning responsibilities of the farm.
- Collaborating with GH Supervisor and day-end to ensure no further assistance is needed
- Working until all daily responsibilities are complete for both, the GH and PH.
Improve Methods & Efficiency
- Develop Best Practices for packing
- Improve Efficiency
- Ensure staff safety to minimize injury, lifting strain, etc.
- Communicate daily with Plant Manager and Grower
- Capable of maintaining a calm and collected composure during times of disorder, speaking to others in a respectful manner, and is skilled at productively handling multiple personality types.
- A proficient in effectively communicating with employees throughout the organization orally and written
- A willingness and desire to assist in unrelated and/or unassigned tasks to ensure the effective operation of the GH and PH.
- Must be a problem solver and be capable of identifying areas of efficiencies.
Who You Are
- Ability to lead by example with a “can do” attitude
- Experience in greenhouse work and/or hydroponics
- Familiarity with ERP and inventory control
- Experience with food safety practices, goals, rules, and regulations
- Great multitasking abilities and ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- A strong desire to learn and grow
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Experience in data collection and recording
- Bilingual highly preferable, but not required
- Ability to motivate, inspire and coach hourly workforce
- Problem-solving skills and foresight- capable to identify areas of efficiencies
- Ability to work weekend and holiday coverage will be required on an as-needed basis
Who We Are
Gotham Greens is on a mission to transform how and where fresh produce is grown. We are a pioneer in urban indoor agriculture and a leading fresh produce and food company. Through our national network of local high-tech farms, Gotham Greens delivers fresh, long-lasting and delicious leafy greens, herbs, salad dressings, and dips all year round to retail, restaurant, and foodservice customers. Founded in 2009, the company opened its first greenhouse in Brooklyn, N.Y., shortly thereafter. Today, Gotham Greens operates 500,000 square feet of high-tech greenhouses across five U.S. states.
Our team of 350+ full time team members are hardworking, supportive, and passionate about sustainable urban agriculture. We work to create an environment that is caring, fun and collaborative. Gotham Greens offers a comprehensive compensation and benefits package.
We are proud to be an affirmative action equal opportunity employer and comply with all applicable federal, state, and local laws regarding recruitment and hiring. All qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other category protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws. We thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls or agencies please.