About the Bender JCC:
The Bender Jewish Community Center in Rockville, Maryland is a premier community center at the heart of Jewish life in Montgomery County, operating a full scale health and fitness center, pre-school, day camp and variety of education and arts programs.
We create a welcoming and inclusive environment, connecting the people of our Jewish community with each other, Israel, and the broader community. We inspire individuals of all ages and backgrounds to enhance their social, physical, intellectual and spiritual well-being through programs of excellence rooted in Jewish values.
Our core values are
- Welcoming and inclusive (Hachnassat Orchim) – We open our doors to everyone and strive to create an inclusive and accommodating environment for people of different backgrounds, abilities and means.
- Respect (Kavod) – We seek to create a town square where our community can be exposed to diverse viewpoints and grapple with difficult issues in a respectful and civil manner.
- Jewish Peoplehood (Klal Yisrael) – We create connections to the people, history, culture, and land of Israel and with the Jewish people as a whole, welcoming all Jewish traditions and backgrounds.
- Community (Kehilla) – We facilitate relationship building and a sense of belonging to create communities across all stages of life.
- Working together (B’yachad) – We partner and collaborate with Jewish and secular organizations to build a stronger community.
- Wellness (Shmirat HaNefesh v’HaGuf) – We promote the well-being and fitness of every person.
- Spirit (Ruach) – We infuse spirit and fun into our activities and programs.
Why this role matters:
Camp JCC is one of our core programs, and the Assistant Camp Director oversees staff recruitment, hiring, training, and development, including the Camp Leadership Team. This role also oversees Club J, which provides programming for school-aged children in grades K-6, including afterschool programs, school-out-day programming, and winter and spring break camps. This is an exciting opportunity to work directly with our community and have a significant impact on the experience of our camp and youth program participants and staff.
- Oversee the recruitment and hiring process for camp and Club J staff, including but not limited to, sourcing of candidates, attending recruiting events, interviewing of candidates, screening of candidates, and selection of new hires.
- Collaborate with Human Resources in the creation and distribution of offer letters, the processing of new hire paperwork, and the finalization of personnel files.
- Select and train the members of the Camp Leadership Team.
- Provide daily supervision to the Camp Leadership Team during the summer, and supervise Club J staff during the school year.
- Mentor and coach counselors in best practices according to the American Camp Association and in conjunction with local licensing requirements.
- Lead staff meetings and staff orientation for over 250 camp staff.
- Collaborate with the Program Director to plan and implement quality camp programming.
- Work in collaboration with the transportation company regarding all camp transportation needs.
- Monitor programs throughout the building and grounds, including periods of time outside.
- Collaborate with Camp and Club J staff to create a quality experience for the campers and Club J participants.
- Communicate regularly with supervisor, staff, parents, and program participants verbally and in writing, including through e-mail, text, and social media.
- Perform other duties and responsibilities as needed, required, or assigned.
- In-person work required