The Fund for Public Health in New York City (FPHNYC) is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization that is dedicated to the advancement of the health and well-being of all New Yorkers. To this end, in partnership with the New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene (DOHMH), FPHNYC incubates innovative public health initiatives implemented by DOHMH to advance community health throughout the city. It facilitates partnerships, often new and unconventional, between government and the private sector to develop, test, and launch new initiatives. These collaborations speed the execution of demonstration projects, effect expansion of successful pilot programs, and support rapid implementation to meet the public health needs of individuals, families, and communities across New York City.
The HR Generalist will report to the Director of Human Resources and perform a variety of administrative and analytical duties of moderate difficulty. They include but are not limited to partnering with program hiring managers, responding to employee, and hiring managers inquiries, recruitment, onboarding, managing HRIS system, and assisting with payroll, benefits, leave, and employee related matters, to ensure smooth daily operations of the HR department.
- Handle all administrative tasks for recruiting, onboarding, new hire orientation, and exit interviews, including entering data into HR information systems and auditing for accuracy and compliance.
- Manage the recruitment process and meet with hiring managers to ensure clarity of qualifications and screening criteria.
- Assist in developing and executing personnel procedures and policies, providing guidance and interpretation for business operations.
- Assist in administering and providing information on employee benefits & leaves, compensation, payroll, time and attendance, and employee performance programs.
- Organize and manage new employee orientation, on-boarding, training, and performance programs.
- Act as first point of contact for issues relating to the HRIS; conduct audits, run routine and ad hoc reports, troubleshoot problems, and maintain integrity of the data housed in the system.
- Partner with HR Payroll and Benefits Manager to ensure accuracy of payroll data, onboarding/offboarding, benefits, leaves, and time & attendance matters.
- Organizes employee personnel files and other HR related documents.
- Capacity to apply discretion and maintain a high level of confidentiality when handling sensitive information.
- Represent employer in community and recruiting events.
- Handles employment-related inquiries from applicants, employees, and supervisors, referring complex and/or sensitive matters to the Director of People Operations.
- Attends and participate in employee disciplinary meetings and investigations.
- Maintains compliance with federal, state, and local employment laws and regulations, and recommend best practices; reviews policies and practice to maintain compliance.
- Maintains knowledge of trends, best practices, regulatory changes, and new technologies in human resources.
- Assist in the communication, interpretation, and upkeep of employee handbook, employee directory, and organizational chart, and contributes to the development of policies.
- Performs other duties as needed.