At McConnell Jones, we aim to be a catalyst for positive growth fostering an environment where unique perspectives come together to enhance client solutions. As one of the top 3 largest African American owned CPA firms, we pride ourselves on the quality of our work, the tenure of our clients, and our own diversitynearly two-thirds of our people are from an ethnically diverse background. The diversity of our people empowers the diversity of our client solutions, as captured by the firms tagline, Diverse Thinking | Unique Perspectives.
Our Mission: To foster an environment where unique perspectives come together to enhance client solutions.
Our Vision: To be a catalyst for positive growth through the power of diverse thinking.
Our Values: Creativity, Inclusion, Transparency, Accountability
This position will be onsite in Houston client office. Summer hours are Monday-Thursday 7:30AM 6:30PM.
This role will perform semi-complex, staff level, performance/operational and compliance audits for Higher Education institutions, including operational audits, program audits, Title IV, Title IX, NCAA and other Single Audit regulatory compliance specific to Higher Education. Conduct consulting advisory work to identify root causes and systemic issues for the purposes of improving business processes and internal controls. Work involves conducting research and benchmarking; examining and reviewing records; analyzing management reports, audit reports and financial statements; performing data analysis; assessing business processes; and evaluating management practices. Works closely with, and reports to, the MJs Internal Audit Manager and/ or Director, with some latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment.
- Participate in audit planning activities, including risk assessments, research, and interviews.
- Participate in the development of audit scopes, objectives, procedures, and deliverables.
- Participate in audits that are complex in nature.
- Perform data analysis to identify compliance and anomalies.
- Prepare detailed working papers according to firm standards.
- Examine and analyze management operations, internal control systems, and accounting records.
- Provide recommendations for changes in business processes to mitigate risk or improve efficiency.
- Prepare written reports.
- Participate in meetings with client staff at all levels within the organization from clerks to executives.
- Participate in special projects and investigations.
- Conduct research on unfamiliar terms, processes, and operations.
- Collaborate with other members of the engagement team to plan the engagement and develop work program timelines, risk assessments, and other planning documents.
- As part of our compliance program, all team members are required to follow industry leading data and system security practices.