The Museum Maintainer/Framer will work with conservators to frame and unframe works of art, with a concentration on paper and photographs. The framer will also move and install works of art as needed.
- Undergraduate study, training program, or equivalent in studio art, conservation, art history, museum studies, library and archives
- Experience in framing, including cutting mats, hinging, photo corners, and creating microclimate frame packages
- Must have the ability to plan ahead for loans, gallery installations, and exhibitions, along with providing work schedules and budgets
- The successful candidate must be a team player and participate in the overall goals of the Conservation department and the Museum
- The Museum Maintainer/Framer will work with conservators in various media to safely frame and unframe the collection for display
- Transport and handle artwork as needed
- Maintain and move collections-storage materials, and clean and maintain storage areas
- Maintain an inventory of supplies and frames
- Provide advice and be involved in proper installation
- Inventory and order supplies
- This position focuses on activities related to direct care of artwork as defined by the American Association of Museums
- Other duties as assigned
Start date: Immediately
Reports to: Senior Manager of Collections and Collections Initiatives
Position type: Full-time
Union status: Union
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
Schedule: 40 hours per week, Monday through Friday, 8:30 am to 5 pm
If you have questions about our online application system, please get in touch with us at email@example.com.
At the Brooklyn Museum, we value all types of experience. For us, a successful candidate has many of the qualities listed in our job postings, and the desire and capacity to learn the rest on the job. So if much, but not all, of a job posting describes you, then we welcome your application.