The Senator John Heinz History Center, the Smithsonian’s home in Pittsburgh, is currently seeking a dynamic and motivated Public Programs Manager.
The Public Programs Manager works in close partnership with museum content creators to develop, organize, support, facilitate, and evaluate all public-facing events at the largest history museum in Pennsylvania.
This is an exciting opportunity to help the History Center better expand its audiences and reach diverse communities through engaging, inclusive, and enjoyable experiences (both in-person and virtually) that support the museum’s mission and spotlight its exhibitions, collections, initiatives.
The successful candidate will be an excellent communicator, skilled collaborator, and resourceful problem solver that will serve as a project manager for programs, from inception to implementation and evaluation.
This position will report to the Director of Marketing & Communications.
- Serves as lead contact and logistics coordinator for all public-facing programs, working closely in partnership with content creators, museum staff, volunteers, and external partners.
- Creates and maintains a cohesive calendar of public programs that reflects the strategic goals of the organization and prioritizes audience engagement and revenue generation.
- Plans and executes high-profile existing programs like Hometown-Homegrown, Vintage Pittsburgh, and others with community partners.
- Plans and executes new public programs that support traveling and long-term exhibitions, collections, and initiatives.
- Initiates and cultivates external partnerships and relationships with community organizations and vendors.
- Utilizes research to plan and implement evaluation strategies to assess the impact of audience engagement.
Why Work at the Heinz History Center?
- Be part of a museum recently voted the #2 History Museum in America by USA Today readers and Best Museum in Pittsburgh by Pittsburgh Magazine!
- Rewarding, mission-driven work at a Smithsonian-affiliated museum that makes a substantial impact in the community
- Dynamic workplace located in Pittsburgh’s historic Strip District
- Flexible work schedule
- Full benefits package including medical, dental, and vision insurance
- 403(B) retirement plan
- Paid time off
- Nine (9) paid holidays
- Company paid life insurance / LTD
- Discounts in the Museum Shop and Café