Application Deadline: Applications will be accepted until December 1st or until positions are filled.
Position: School Year Instructor
Location: AstroCamp, Idyllwild CA
Start Date: First week of January 2024
Position Type: Full Time
Responsible to: AstroCamp Program Director
"We are currently hiring full-time Instructors for the School Year Program. The position starts the first week of January. AstroCamp is a unique non-profit education center that specializes in astronomy and physical sciences. We are located in the small town of Idyllwild, CA. We sit at an elevation of 5,413 feet in the beautiful San Jacinto Mountains of Southern California. Over 18,000 students (about the seating capacity of Madison Square Garden) from 8-17 years old attend AstroCamp each year. Our labs and facilities include innovative classrooms, a heated pool, various ropes course elements (including a zipline), a rock wall, and telescope viewing areas. We are providing incredible experiences for our campers and staff. Check us out at www.astrocamp.org or visit www.guideddiscoveries.org. "
School Year Instructor Qualifications: BS/BA, preferably Physics, Astronomy or STEM fields but all degrees are welcome to apply. Our extensive training will provide all the knowledge needed. Requires a passion for learning and working with children. Must be a positive, energetic, and organized team member who is eager to learn new content. Previous teaching experience is a plus. CPR, First Aid Certification required, and lifeguard certification is required within 6 months of being hired. The desire to work and live in a close-knit community is important.
School Year Instructor Salary and Benefits: Starting at $19.50/hour. Travel and Move In Stipend, Room, Board, Health Insurance, as well as Dental, Vision, and Life Insurance are provided. Staff lives on-site in furnished apartments. AstroCamp is located on a 90-acre campus adjacent to a national forest with easy access to clear skies, world-class rock climbing, outstanding hiking, and great mountain biking.
School Year Instructor Position Summary:
Instructors are responsible for bringing physical sciences and astronomy concepts to life through hands-on, experiential education classes and activities to students who attend 3 or 5-day programs. The position also provides quality instruction and leadership to all outdoor programs.
School Year Instructor Essential Job Duties:
- Safely and professionally implement program curriculum
- Proficient in academic knowledge of classes to be taught
- Present quality programs to school groups as assigned
- Aid in maintaining classrooms and facilities in good working order
- Communicate effectively and work well with guests and other staff
- Communicate any problems with staff or students to Program Director
- Work effectively as part of a team or on solo projects as required
- Attend and contribute to all leadership and instructional sessions for staff
- Enforce safety regulations and emergency procedures
- Understand Guided Discoveries Safety Program and its responsibilities
- Lift, carry, and move heavy objects when necessary
- Drive company vehicles if necessary
School Year Instructor Benefits:
- Travel Stipend Varies with the new employee’s current location
- Housing on campus
- Full meals
- Medical, Dental, Vision and Life insurance is provided the 1st of the month after working 30 days of full-time employment
- 403b Retirement Plan
- Workers' Compensation Insurance and State Disability Insurance
- Guest visitation privileges with prior permission
- Opportunity to live and work in a beautiful mountain environment