Midwest Family Mutual is looking for a Controller and Assistant Treasurer to join our Accounting department. This individual will report directly to the CFO. The Controller and Assistant Treasurer is responsible for overseeing the day-to-day activities of the accounting department and developing and maintaining accounting principles, practices, and procedures to ensure accurate and timely financial statements and regulatory reporting. This includes budgeting, payables and receivables, statutory account maintenance and reporting, premium tax accounting and payment, annual financial statements and audits, accounting and financial system development recommendations, and other financial activities. The goal is for this individual to be part of the CFO succession plan, with mentoring to occur over the next four to five years.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Oversees the preparation of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles and Statutory basis financial statements and schedules while providing appropriate commentary on results to management and externally as required.
- Oversees the preparation of reconciliations and analytics for account balances.
- Handles responsibility for statutory filings and other compliance items.
- Key point of contact for external financial audits.
- Maintains workpapers for tax provisions, tax footnotes and works closely with the tax accountants on filing of returns.
- Ensures accurate and timely monthly, quarterly, and year end close.
- Performs analysis of loss and LAE reserves to ensure adequacy of companys largest liability.
- Participates in annual reinsurance negotiations by providing timely and detailed premium and loss by reinsurer data.
- Assists with the annual operating and strategic plan, as well as long term plan.
- Involved with and advocate for enterprise risk management analysis.
- Performs cash management activity, including transfers and wires.
- Develops and implements workflow process improvements and automation of accounting workpapers.
- Serves as a key resource for other departments seeking financial information and assistance.
- Monitors and analyzes department work to develop more efficient procedures and use of resources while maintaining a high level of accuracy.
- Supervises & advises staff and performs periodic performance evaluations, sets goals and develops training for staff as appropriate.
- Develops appropriate accounting controls, timelines and procedures and ensures adherence.