Job Open Date: 11-4-22
Job Close Date: Once filled
Event Planners are vital in continued operations at the DECC. The Event Planner is the principal contact point for clients and is responsible for representing the DECC positively, driving revenue, negotiating the terms of contracts with clients, and ensuring each client is provided with seamless service.
Requirement and Competencies
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Ensure a high level of customer service
- Ability to work independently and in a team setting
- Must pay attention to details
- Proficient in Microsoft Office
- Ability to adapt to changes, delays, or unexpected events
- Ability to resolve problems and manage difficult situations as needed
- 2+ years event planning experience and 1+ year of sales and/or catering experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Event Planning or related field
- Thorough understanding of legal regulations and permit requirements for events
- Knowledge of Quest Point of Sale (POS) systems
- Knowledge of Event Business Management Software (EBMS)- Ungerboeck
- Knowledge of Amadeus Hospitality Diagramming
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office and Adobe Creative Software
Essential Functions (Reasonable accommodations may be made for individuals with disabilities.)
- Meet with meeting planners, brides, and promoters to identify the clients’ needs, develop, and present proposals, negotiate terms and prices using professional judgment, and oversee events to ensure they comply with the negotiated terms
- Schedule DECC events and place holds on the calendar for trade shows, conventions, meetings, corporate events, weddings, catered functions, and ticketed events
- Be present during planned events to interact with the client and gather information for post-event evaluation; develop written action plans that address quality assurance issues and present the plans to management
- Plan and oversee facilities, catering, A/V requirements, signage, displays, menus and special needs requirements, printing, event security, and exhibit requirements using Event Business Management Software (EBMS)
- Create detailed floor plans for events using Amadeus Hospitality Diagramming
- Manage the process of each event by overseeing the work of multiple DECC departments to ensure facilities conform to client and contract requirements; address concerns with relevant department managers and direct the implementation of facility plans as necessary
- Maintain historical and financial records of all event aspects; review the contract considering expenses to ensure continual profitability and adjust as necessary
- Conduct post-event evaluations to determine how future events can be improved, present formal policy and practice recommendations to senior management
- Oversee the preparation and distribution of event summaries and event meetings
- Represent the Event Planning department and Sales department both internally and externally as needed
- Answer calls and emails regarding events, facility questions, or general inquiries
- Using time management skills, set priorities and meet required deadlines
- Must retain a thorough knowledge of local hospitality resources
- Additional duties as assigned
An Event Planner is expected to work 40-hours per week with some evenings and weekends required, based on client and event schedules.
The Event Planner will primarily be in an office setting. The noise levels in the work environment vary from quiet to moderately loud. There are regular distractions, including noise from office machinery, telephones, and office traffic. If working on the show floor, it can be very loud at times. The pace varies, but is often very busy, and the Event Planner will need to adapt quickly.
This position requires someone that is able to spend most of their time seated, working at a computer, and speaking on the phone. They must be able to give tours of the entire facility which requires walking and climbing stairs. They must be able to clearly and concisely communicate to a wide variety of people. The Event Planner will need to use their hands frequently, and be able to see, hear, speak, write, and type often.
Business casual attire. The DECC will provide a DECC nametag and/or ID badge.
Typically no travel, but could be occasionally,
Additional Eligibility Requirements
- Must be 18 years of age or older
- Successful completion of reference checks
- Successful completion of a background check
- Successful completion of a drug test, if applicable
Work Authorization/Security Clearance Requirements
The DECC uses USCIS Form I-9 to verify the identity and employment authorization of individuals hired for employment. On the form, an employee must attest to his or her employment authorization. The employee is required to present the DECC with acceptable documents evidencing identity and employment authorization at the time of hire. The DECC will examine the employment eligibility and identity document(s).
The list of acceptable documents can be provided by Human Resources.
This position is at will. This means if you are offered the position and accept, your employment with the DECC is for an indefinite period of time and it is subject to termination by you or the DECC, with or without cause, with or without notice, and at any time. Nothing in this job description or any other policy of the DECC shall be interpreted to be in conflict with or to eliminate or modify in any way, the at will employment status of this position.
The at will employment status of an employee of the DECC may be modified only in a written employment agreement with that employee which is signed by the Executive Director or the Chair of the DECC Board of Directors.
By your signature below, you acknowledge your understanding that your employment with the DECC is at will, and that nothing in this description is intended to constitute a contract of employment, express or implied.
The DECC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In order to provide equal employment and advancement opportunities to all individuals, employment decisions will be based on merit, qualification and ability. The DECC does not discriminate in employment practices on the basis of age, color, disability, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by law. The DECC will follow any state or local law that provides greater protection. This policy is neither exhaustive nor exclusive. The DECC is committed to taking all other actions necessary to ensure equal employment opportunity for persons with disabilities in accordance with the ADA and all other applicable laws.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job.
Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.