The Fund for Public Health in New York City (FPHNYC) is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization that is dedicated to the advancement of the health and well-being of all New Yorkers. To this end, in partnership with the New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene (DOHMH), FPHNYC incubates innovative public health initiatives implemented by DOHMH to advance community health throughout the city. It facilitates partnerships, often new and unconventional, between government and the private sector to develop, test, and launch new initiatives. These collaborations speed the execution of demonstration projects, effect expansion of successful pilot programs, and support rapid implementation to meet the public health needs of individuals, families, and communities across New York City.
DOHMH is launching a coordinated suicide prevention effort that aims to reduce suicide deaths and suicide-related behaviors among NYC youth and young adults. This effort will be supported by a dedicated team of staff who will:
- Develop DOHMH's capacity to monitor this urgent public health issue
- Increase and diversify suicide prevention services for youth and their families/other support networks
- Provide strategic direction to existing endeavors and expand efforts to mitigate the socio-environmental risk factors for suicide through public health, urban planning, and urban design strategies
This position is funded through the BIPOC Youth Suicide Prevention Initiative and is located within the Bureau of Children, Youth, and Families, Division of Mental Hygiene, DOHMH, in Long Island City, Queens.
The Data Manager for Suicide Prevention Initiatives will lead monitoring, analysis and reporting of suicide-related data to inform suicide prevention programming and policy. They will report to the Director of Research and Evaluation and collaborate closely with other members of the suicide prevention team, led by the Director of Suicide Prevention Initiatives, all working within the Bureau of Children, Youth, and Families.
- Provide leadership and direction in the planning, development, and implementation of all data systems for suicide-related data, including programmatic data, pilot data, surveillance data, and others
- Conduct data analyses to contribute to suicide prevention planning and policy development and evaluate program and policy impact
- Develop appropriate metrics for capturing and reporting needs related to suicide prevention
- Contribute to strategic planning in how to meet CYF’s short and long-term data analysis, research and surveillance goals
- Develop a public health surveillance system to monitor suicide and suicide-related behaviors among NYC youth.
- Maintain the system and provide timely and regular updates to the suicide prevention team and agency leadership
- Conduct regular analyses to identify suicide clusters and other anomalies
- Monitor trends over time
- Incorporate data sources from outside the NYC Health Department into suicide analyses, considering environmental risk and protective factors such as neighborhood characteristics
- Conduct GIS mapping as needed
- Design and maintain data dashboards utilizing Tableau or other software customized for specific groups of stakeholders, and respond to fast-paced requests for data analyses
- Prepare and update IRB materials as necessary
- Maintain records and prepare briefs, program reports, presentations, and scientific manuscripts for publication in peer reviewed journals and dissemination to national conferences and other entities to further public health knowledge
- Consult on program evaluations for the suicide prevention team, as needed