Job Title: Scuba Instructor/Divemaster
Location: Catalina Sea Camp
Department: Summer Dive
Work Year: Summer 2023
Reports To: Ashley Peach Bueche
FLSA Status: Exempt
Revision Date: November 2, 2023
The Dive Staff at Catalina Sea Camp is made up of NAUI Scuba Instructors and Divemasters who are responsible for providing scuba and skin diving programs for children aged 12-17. They will work collaboratively to develop, organize, and teach (or assist with teaching) scuba diving and skin diving courses as assigned. Diving environments include temperate sandy bottom, rocky reef, and kelp forests accessed by shore or dive boat. All diving activities will be in accordance with Catalina Sea Camp and NAUI Standards. Dive Staff are responsible for all aspects (as assigned and within an individual’s scope) of scuba diving and skin diving for Catalina Sea Camp.
Duties & Responsibilities
Primary Responsibilities/Essential Functions:
- Develop, organize, and teach (or assist with teaching) scuba and skin diving courses as assigned.Course offerings include Introduction to Skin Diving, Advanced Skin Diving, Underwater Photography, Try Dive/Discover Scuba, Open Water Scuba Diver, Advanced Scuba Diver, Rescue Scuba Diver, Master Diver, Night Diver, and Underwater Ecologist.
- Keep all program areas neat, clean, and safe.
- Develop supplementary material for programs as needed.
- Adhere to safety rules, company policies, and procedures for thewell-beingof campers and staff.
- Facilitate operations on the dive deck, including filling cylinders, organizing program equipment, ensuring cleanliness, and assisting in incidents and emergencies.
- As assigned, act as Instructor/Divemaster, Dive Locker Coordinator, and Lifeguard, as well as Head Divemaster aboard our diving vessels.
- Keep comprehensive records of all dives with campers. Complete paperwork required to issue certifications.
- Comply with NAUI and Catalina Sea Camp standards, policies, and procedures when teaching classes.
- Attend all meetings, leadership training, and instructional sessions.
- Assist with camper arrival/departure procedures as assigned on arrival and departure days.
- Provide and/or attend evening programs and activities when necessary or assigned.
- Generate ongoing enthusiasm and participation in summer camp activities.
- Work the necessary hours to get the job done, assist other departments when available.
- Assist with between session clean-ups.
- Follow and enforce all camp rules and policies.
- Other duties as assigned by the Dive Director.
Other Responsibilities/Supportive Functions:
- Must be able to effectively work with the campers, supervisors, and other staff.
- Ability and willingness to communicate any problems with staff or campers to the Dive Director.
- Good physical condition with the mobility, visual and auditory skills to maintain control of 8-15 campers in a variety of environments (in the water, during learning sessions, on hikes, etc.).
- Ability to properly respond to emergency situations and enforce appropriate safety rules.
- Knowledge and ability to teach dive classes as assigned in all open water environments.
Note: This job description is
Special Skills & Abilities/Mental and Physical Demands:
Note: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Staff may perform other related duties as required to meet the ongoing needs of the organization. Management reserves the right to add, modify, change or rescind work assignments and to make reasonable accommodations as needed.not intended to be all-inclusive. Staff may perform other related duties as required to meet the ongoing needs of the organization. Management reserves the right to add, modify, change or rescind work assignments and to make reasonable accommodations as needed.
The employee member is subject to environmental conditions found working indoors/outdoors. The employee member is frequently subject to extreme heat, with temperatures up to 100 degrees while moving around in and outside of camp. The employee member is frequently subject to loud noise when working in or around the camp. The employee member is subject to hazards which includes proximity to moving mechanical parts, equipment found in kitchens and food service areas, sharp objects, and exposure to cleaning chemicals and animals. Other hazards may include slick floors and hot stoves, cookware, plate ware or glassware. The employee member is occasionally subject to atmospheric condition such as fumes, odors, or dusts.
(To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions).
I hereby acknowledge that I have read and understand the content of this job description. I understand the Company at its discretion may revise the job description from time to time in the future. I understand and agree that nothing in this job description should be construed as a contract of employment, and that employment with this Company is at-will meaning that the terms of employment may be changed with or without notice, with or without cause, including, but not limited to termination, demotion, promotion, transfer, compensation, benefits, duties and location of work.
- The weekly rate of pay as indicated on your contract.
- Full meals at the Dining Hall when the kitchen is in operation.
- Travel stipend based on home location.
- Workers Compensation Insurance and State Disability insurance.
- DAN Professional Liability Insurance (for Divemasters and Instructors).
- Privileges to check out and use certain Catalina Sea Camp equipment for personal use in accordance with established camp policies (ex. sailboats, sailboards, scuba cylinders, vehicles, climbing wall, and kayaks).
- Access to some of the most exciting, beautiful diving and hiking in Southern California.
- The opportunity to develop teaching and leadership skill as well as interpersonal and management skills.
Salary Range starts at $540-565 per week depending on role