Food & Water Watch is a leading national advocacy organization that runs dynamic, cutting edge campaigns challenging the corporate control and abuse of our food and water resources and demanding that government do its job to protect people and our most essential resources.
Under direction of the Managing Director of Philanthropy, the Director of Individual Philanthropy will plan, implement, and coordinate a national major gifts program incorporating the efforts of the Major Gift Officers and field organizing staff. One of the main goals of this position is to increase Food & Water Watch’s support base at the $2,500 level and above, solidifying the organization’s funding structure and expanding its capacity. The Director of Individual Philanthropy also oversees several related programs, and will plan, implement, and coordinate the mid-level gifts and planned giving programs, as well as donor moves management and prospect research.
The Director of Individual Philanthropy reports to the Managing Director of Philanthropy. The position also works closely with a variety of FWW staff, including the Executive Director, program directors, and organizing staff across the country.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1) Work closely with the Managing Director of Philanthropy to help ensure full integration and coordination of development activities with other FWW programs and related outreach efforts.
2) Lead strategy for major gifts program overall, directing staff on all aspects of the program and its deliverables.
3) Oversee prospect review, research, and moves management processes to ensure appropriate and timely placement of donors on portfolios.
4) Supervise and mentor Major Gift Officers as required and ensure that individual performance goals are met.
5) Oversee strategy for Planned Giving program and support Planned Giving Manager to ensure program goals are met.
6) Oversee strategy for mid-level giving program, supervising annual gifts of between $500 and $2,499 in coordination with mid-level team members.
7) Manage a portfolio of 60 to 85 major giving prospects with annual gifts of $2,500 and above. Provide consistent cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship through personal visits, telephone calls, written proposals and other communications.
8) Collaborate and work with Special Events Manager on the coordination of major gifts cultivation and stewardship events.
9) Work directly with the Managing Director of Philanthropy in setting and achieving annual goals for all team members.
10) Work closely with all departments in FWW, especially Communications, to execute cross-channel fundraising campaigns.
11) Serve as part of Senior Management team and attend regular meetings.
12) Manage budgets and performs other administrative duties as necessary.
13) Oversee national electoral fundraising plan including for Food & Water Action and any FWA PAC.
14) Work with Managing Director of Philanthropy to create and oversee Food & Water Watch Advisory Council and develop Food & Water Watch board member pipeline.
15) Carry out other projects, as assigned.
16) SUPPORTING OUR CULTURE OF PHILANTHROPY: All staff must assist in fundraising and development for the organization. All staff must demonstrate an understanding that our members and supporters make our work (and our salaries) possible and should provide the highest level of customer and member services to people outside the organization. While your job position does not require you to raise any particular amount, you are expected to always be an “ambassador” for FWW/FWA and our work. All staff are expected to help with and participate/attend events and other activities as appropriate that are organized for our supporters and donors. All staff are expected to be cognizant of fundraising opportunities and to share contacts and information that will help build and sustain FWW/FWA.