The Digital Newsletter Producer is part of the team responsible for ensuring the WHRO newsroom is reaching all of Hampton Roads, targeting our content to reach the people who need and rely on it.
This person will assist in implementing the station’s larger engagement strategy in the newsroom by becoming a liaison between the marketing department and reporters.
They will write, prepare and build WHRO Journalism’s daily newsletter and create social media content. This person should be knowledgeable of social platforms to provide marketing with cross-platform multimedia assets such as video and imagery.
This journalist will contribute to the newsroom’s reporting by occasionally producing original reported content and assisting in breaking news coverage.
As WHRO’s newsroom expands, this person will report to a digital editor.
- Select stories, write and edit copy for a digital newsletter that includes content from local, state and national news partners and considering cross-departmental content for possible inclusion.
- Working with reporters and editors, manage the online presentation of news stories on the WHRO website, including writing accurate, SEO-friendly headlines
- Work with the station’s digital strategies department to become one of the newsroom expert on the station’s content management system.
- Make sure WHRO Journalism’s platforms are up-to-date and functional. This includes a podcast feed and website.
- Creates stories for multiple media platforms, including radio, podcast, and social media.
- Generates ideas and processes for supplemental web and social content.
- Write and produce content for social media platforms.
- Lead newsroom content creation on social media sites like Facebook and Twitter as well as appropriate new platforms.
- Other duties as assigned.