The Training Specialist (TS) will support the retail division in achieving its goal of having a fully trained and continuously improving team. To achieve this goal, the TS will have dotted line reporting to both the HR Manager and the Retail Division Training Manager (RDTM). The TS will implement human resources software to track seasonal employee applicants from the initial recruiting to on-boarding, training, certifications and exit interviews. The TS will deploy all training curriculum developed by the Retail Training Manager within their home store and will participate in the training of staff during new store acquisitions. When the TS is not training, they will rotate throughout the garden center, working in all departments to ensure a complete and up-to-date knowledge of all operations.
OVERALL GSC RETAIL
- Communicate and work with ALL store teams to ensure effective zone coverage, with the goal of providing excellent service and remaining visible and available to the customer.
- Cultivate a deep knowledge of the products that we sell, communicate product features to seasonal employees. Remain current on industry, store and company recommendations and offers for earth friendly gardening solutions.
- Remain current on and able to inform customers of all retail division promotions and offers, events and educational opportunities.
- Cultivate an understanding of our customer, what they are looking for and how we can meet their needs.
- Maintain a professional appearance, including company uniform compliance always.
- Maintain retail readiness and partner with custodial staff to ensure cleanliness throughout the store; check daily to maintain the best possible store presentation.
- Must be present and punctual for all assigned shifts, work a flexible schedule when needed, including evenings, holidays and weekends.
DEPARTMENT SPECIFIC TASKS
- Lead new employee orientation by leading assigned training sessions, organizing and facilitating a cohesive, fluid and rewarding experience for all new seasonal staff.
- Lead training modules developed by the Training Manager for employees in a variety of subjects. Track employee progress and certifications in the Learning Management Software.
- Conduct annual training surveys to assess effectiveness and develop future training modules.
- Frequently communicate and coordinate training with counterparts in other stores and remain available to deploy to other stores as needed
Hiring and On-boarding
- Coordinate the hiring process; including:
- Coordinate with supervisors to identify needs
- Coordinate with HR to post ads and in-store signs as needed
- Conduct phone screens & schedule interviews
- Perform reference checks and make job offers
- Ensure all new hire paperwork is completed and submitted in a timely manner
- Conduct seasonal orientation (see training)
- Coordinate with HR team to schedule and conduct exit interviews and surveys.
- The Training Specialist will rotate through and work across many departments to gain a deeper understanding of the functions and training needs of all staff. As he/she continues to assess current process, he/she will make recommendations to the Store Manager and Retail Division Training Manager to help streamline and make processes more consistent and efficient.
- Act as a resource and mentor for seasonal and repeat seasonal associates within the CS department, providing instruction and on-going training in POS (RMS/DAX) as well as the mastery of outstanding customer service.
- Remain up to date and familiar with all policies and procedures including issuing credits and refunds, on-line free shipping transactions, follow-up on special orders, payments on account, AR and wholesale customer transactions and our design and delivery program offers.
- Fill the role of primary back up for the Admin Assistant and all department leads during vacations and unscheduled absences
- Participate in daily store opening and closing procedures as assigned.
- Participate in Manager on Duty (MOD) shifts as assigned.