Job Title: Summer Science & Adventure Instructor
Location: Catalina Sea Camp
Department: Summer Camp
Reports To: Brittany Swanwick or Heather Peterson
FLSA Status: Salary Position
Revision Date: November 28, 2023
The Summer Science & Adventure Instructors at Catalina Sea Camp are responsible for providing summer camp programs for children who are age 8-17. This primarily includes instruction in camp activities, including archery, high ropes, kayaking, snorkeling, hiking, art, and marine science labs, as well as secondary duties as assigned. All activities are conducted according to Catalina Sea Camp and ACA-approved protocols to ensure the delivery of a high-quality program. The Summer Science & Adventure Instructors have the responsibility to provide quality instruction and leadership during a range of summer camp activities.
Duties & Responsibilities
Primary Responsibilities/Essential Functions:
- Ensure all programs are conducted in accordance with the policies set by Catalina Sea Camp, emphasizing safety.
- Development of necessary educational and instructional background to ensure the quality of the program.
- Assume lifeguarding duties when assigned.
- Participate in training week as scheduled and instructed by the Program Director and Summer Camp Director.
- Drive company boats and vehicles for program purposes when assigned, after a check-out process.
- Assist with camper arrival/departure procedures as assigned on arrival and departure days.
- Provide and/or attend evening programs and activities when necessary or assigned.
- Generate ongoing enthusiasm and participation in summer camp activities.
- Other duties assigned by the Program Director.
Other Responsibilities/Supportive Functions:
- Must be able to communicate and work with campers by instructing them in hikes, water activities, marine science labs, and high ropes elements.
- Ability to snorkel in the ocean for extended periods, leading up to 16 campers for up to 2 hours.
- Ability to hike up to 2 miles along dirt trails, including steep inclines.
- Ability to lift kayaks and carry them to the ocean with campers.
- Drive the chase boat during kayaking once trained and cleared.
- Greet incoming campers at the pier and help move luggage.
- Lift and carry heavy objects up to 50 lbs. when necessary.
- Be able to respond to emergencies by utilizing Waterfront Lifeguard training and providing the leadership necessary to enact the Emergency Action Plan.
- Ability to observe student and staff behavior, assess its appropriateness, enforce appropriate safety regulations and emergency procedures, and apply appropriate behavior.
Note: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Staff may perform other related duties as required to meet the ongoing needs of the organization. Management reserves the right to add, modify, change or rescind work assignments and to make reasonable accommodations as needed.
The employee member is subject to environmental conditions found working indoors/outdoors. The employee member is frequently subject to extreme heat, with temperatures up to 110 degrees while moving around in and outside of camp. The employee member is frequently subject to loud noise when working in or around the camp. The employee member is subject to hazards which includes proximity to moving mechanical parts, equipment found in kitchens and food service areas, sharp objects, and exposure to cleaning chemicals and animals. Other hazards may include slick floors and hot stoves, cookware, plate ware or glassware. The employee member is occasionally subject to atmospheric condition such as fumes, odors, or dusts.
(To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions).
I hereby acknowledge that I have read and understand the content of this job description. I understand the Company at its discretion may revise the job description from time to time in the future. I understand and agree that nothing in this job description should be construed as a contract of employment, and that employment with this Company is at-will meaning that the terms of employment may be changed with or without notice, with or without cause, including, but not limited to termination, demotion, promotion, transfer, compensation, benefits, duties and location of work. Will be signing an electronic copy upon on-boarding.
- Full meals at the Dining Hall when the kitchen is in operation.
- Workers Compensation Insurance and State Disability Insurance.
- Opportunity to use boats and camp gear in accordance with company policy.
- Opportunity to live and work in a beautiful island environment.
Salary Range is $540-570 per week, depending on number of seasons worked.