ESSENTIAL DUTIES: (Other duties may be assigned)
- Explores current methods in the literature and proposes research or adapted research outcomes to improve quality on plant tissue culture.
- Performs proposed scientific research on plant tissue culture (plant media, light, temperature, plant development, plant tissue, and other factors).
- Ensures accurate and appropriate data collection to improve quality.
- Operates laboratory equipment for tests, research and scientific experiments.
- Participates in scientific discussions in plant tissue culture.
- Presents written and/or oral progress reports on a regular basis to managers and other lab staff.
- May demonstrate and explain research results to other employees.
- Keeps detailed accounts of all activities and observations.
- Maintains and organizes the research area including data, media and all equipment.
- Maintains the cleanliness and safety of the lab according to established safety procedures and standards.
- Cross trains with other positions in the lab.
- Keeps the Clean Stock and Research Manager apprised of relevant issues and problems that may arise in a timely manner.
- Ensures the safe keeping of proprietary varieties and confidential information.
- Assures the highest level of confidentiality on sensitive matters concerning the nursery.
- Other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED EDUCATION, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND TRAINING:
- Typically requires a Bachelor's degree in a life science (B.S.) discipline (Molecular Biology, Biotechnology, Agricultural Sciences) or equivalent combination of experience and education.
- Requires 2+ years’ experience working in a plant tissue culture lab, preferably working with blueberries or similar horticultural crop
- Requires experience following laboratory procedures and protocols and performing data analysis. Must have the ability to analyze, interpret and present results and experimental data.
- Requires a high attention to detail and the ability to observe small deviations.
- Ability to collaborate with other team members, develop strong relationships, and maintain a positive attitude.
- Must be able to read and follow detailed instructions, directions, recipes and protocols in English.
- Ability to collaborate with other team members, develop strong relationships, and maintain a positive attitude. Must be able to exercise good judgment and positively influence team decision making.
- Requires the ability to be self-directed, motivated and capable of prioritizing daily work according to a schedule.
- Ability to work in a clean environment with limited access to the outdoors.
- Regular and reliable attendance at the primary place of business.
- Ability to meet the physical demands of the position.
- Cultural sensitivity and the ability to work well with people from different countries and with varying English language skills.
- Must demonstrate professional and ethical business practices, adherence to company values, and a commitment to personal and professional development.
- Maintains a higher level of understanding of the plants and lab processes.
- A Master’s degree in a biological science, math, or statistics.
- Experience working in a molecular biology laboratory setting.
- Experience in microbiology and plant pathology.
- Experience using statistical tools. (R, SAS, or equivalent)
- Bilingual skills in English and Spanish.
Position requires an executed confidentiality and non-solicitation agreement.