For over 30 years, ISMP has been a global leader in patient safety. We are the first non-profit organization dedicated to the promotion of safe medication practices. Research, education, and advocacy are the foundation of everything we do, and our strong collaborative relationships have enabled us to help protect millions of patients. The scope of leadership includes strategic planning and execution, day to day operations (Consultation, Education, Publications, Alerts and Error Reporting) along with financial performance oversight.
ISMP has a proud mix of clinicians and academia professionals who are dedicated to making healthcare safer. The organization needs a candidate with strong financial and strategic operational experience to manage change and growth, and respond to strategic and business opportunities effectively, while gaining operational efficiencies. The successful candidate will embrace and advance the vision and mission which is to advance patient safety worldwide by empowering the healthcare community, including consumers, to prevent medication errors.
The Executive Vice President will oversee the day to day operations of ISMP. The ideal candidate will have a proven track record of creative and energetic problem solving with demonstrated ability to identify and implement innovative approaches to operational management. S/he must have exceptional integrity, and business intelligence and maturity, and be goal-driven. The candidate must be able to respond effectively to changing organizational dynamics and strategic goals and effectively take advantage of new strategic opportunities for the organization. At the same time, the organization needs an executive with a personal style that is unflappable, and an approach that inspires confidence and respect for his/her ability to successfully meet the challenges of the role.
The position requires excellent interpersonal and communication skills and an ability to navigate a complex and dynamic organization. The candidate must be comfortable working with highly successful educated professionals, and in a collaborative approach environment.
Reasonable Accommodations Statement
To accomplish this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform, with or without reasonable accommodation, each essential function satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to help enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Essential Functions Statements(s)
Partner with the President in:
- Collaborating with the board to define and articulate the organization’s vision and mission and to develop strategies for achieving that vision
- Creating, implementing, and evaluating strategic and financial goals
- Developing future leadership within the organization with provision for succession
- Promote and advocate ISMP’s mission and vision to its stakeholders such as Academics, Healthcare Agencies including Government, Standard Setting, and Accreditation, Healthcare Consumers, Healthcare Provider Organizations and Practitioners, Industry, Media, Non-Profit Healthcare Groups and Associations and Payors
- Managing the staff as well as the operations of the organization, maintaining a work environment that is healthy and safe in which the employees can work with to their full potential
- Promote a culture that reflects the organization’s values and motivates employees in the delivery of the organization’s programs and services
- Support leadership in providing direction and resources and removing barriers to accomplish organizational goals
- Articulate expectations and clarify roles and relationships
- Support professional staff in analysis and decision-making towards project development and execution
- Oversees staff in developing annual budgets that support operating plans and submits budgets for board approval
- Manage and oversee all financial and business planning activities, including the review and analysis of financial reports
- Provides prompt, thorough, and accurate information to keep the board appropriately informed of the organization’s financial position
- Oversees the operations of the organization and manages its compliance with legal and regulatory requirements
- Work in cooperation with legal to administer risk management and legal activities: letters of agreement, contracts, leases and other legal documents and agreements.
- Oversee with ECRI and the director of operations information technology to ensure the ongoing maintenance and updating of information systems and infrastructure, including hardware, software and applications
- Oversee the ongoing integration of products and services
HUMAN RESOURCE MANAGEMENT
Partner with ECRI in overseeing and managing:
- Recruitment, hiring, firing and compensation of employees
- Professional training and coaching employees to achieve their potential; including new employee orientation
- Retention strategies
- Regulatory oversight and legal compliance
- Evaluate, with the President the organization’s and the staff’s performance on a regular basis
- Attends the organization’s board of directors and all board committee meetings
- Provides operational and financial report to the board of directors
- Assist in the selection, orientation and evaluation of board and board committee members
- Ensure that all program activities operate consistently and ethically within the mission and values of the organization
- Direct/assist professional staff (as necessary) in completion of consultation and project deliverables
- Provide input and advice for consult, educational, and project-related marketing/promotional web and printed materials
- Collaborate with Medication Safety Board leadership in developing and implementing medication-safety related products and services for vendors
- Participate in large-scale educational programs and collaboratives for hospitals, health systems, purchasing groups, professional organizations, and other large-scale associations; Serve as client contact and maintains budget throughout the project. Provides timely follow-up to client requests
- Actively network with clinical and vendor contacts to build collegial relationships, develop new projects, and advance ISMP’s understanding of and response to medication errors.
- Participate in consultation engagements and consulting team collaboratives as needed
- Participate in the development and execution of research and grant proposals as requested
- Actively participate in the completion/editing of the written materials, reports, guidelines and other documents as a result of consult engagements and collaborative projects
- Prepare and participate in public high-level speaking engagements regarding medication safety issues
- Review/analyze confidential error reports
- Provide expertise and edit ISMP’s publications
- Develop and implement educational materials, tools and programming on medication safety-related topics
- Provide mentorship for new employees, students, residents, International Guests and ISMP Fellows; Lecture to students as requested
- Maintains current professional licensure
- Remains current on changes/advances to medication safety principles, systems and related technologies
- Maintain strict confidentiality regarding ISMP work product including upholding the tenets of ISMP’s confidentiality and security guidelines including but not limited to consultation or project engagements, medication errors conversations, and other sensitive medication-safety issues
- Set and achieve annual revenue targets to ensure continuous growth and impact
- Staff development and growth that supports the cultivation of rising talent within the organization