This position supports the work of the Y, a leading nonprofit, charitable organization committed to strengthening community through youth development, healthy living and social responsibility. The Lifeguard at Wichita Falls YMCA creates a safe and positive atmosphere that welcomes and respects all individuals while promoting and maintain safe swimming conditions in the pool, deck and surrounding areas in accordance with YMCA policies and procedures.
Our mission and core values are brought to life by our culture. In the Y, we strive to live our cause of strengthening communities with purpose and intentionality every day. We are welcoming: we are open to all. We are a place where you can belong and become. We are genuine: we value you and embrace your individuality. We are hopeful: we believe in you and your potential to become a catalyst in the world. We are nurturing: we support you in your journey to develop your full potential. We are determined: above all else, we are on a relentless quest to make our community stronger beginning with you.
- Maintains active surveillance of the pool area.
- Knows and reviews all emergency procedures and responds to emergency situations immediately in accordance with YMCA policies, procedures, and the “safe-in-six” model; completes related reports as required.
- Responds to challenges with possible solutions in a timely manner.
- Knows, understands, and consistently applies safety rules, policies, and guidelines for the pool and aquatic area.
- Remains calm and objective when under pressure or when challenged by others.
- Maintains accurate records as required by the YMCA and/or the state health department code.
- Performs equipment checks and ensures appropriate equipment is available as needed.
- Checks the pool for hazardous conditions when arriving.
- Performs chemical testing when not guarding, as required, and takes appropriate action.
- Adheres to association and position training requirements.
- Work various hours and locations to meet association needs.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the manager.
- Critical Thinking & Decision Making
- Emotional Maturity
- Minimum age of 16
- Certifications: Basic life support or professional rescuer CPR/AED, first aid, and emergency oxygen administration
- Current YMCA Lifeguard or American Red Cross.
- Child abuse prevention & risk management training within 30 days of hire date
- Ability to maintain certification-level physical and mental readiness
- Must demonstrate lifeguard skills in accordance with YMCA standards
WORK ENVIRONMENT & PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Physically perform all skills required of a lifeguard.
- Hear noises and distress signals in the aquatic environment, including in the water and anywhere around the zone of responsibility.
- Remain alert with no lapses of consciousness.
- See and observe all sections of an assigned zone or area of responsibility.