This position supports the work of the Y, a leading nonprofit committed to strengthening community through youth development, healthy living and social responsibility. Provides direct leadership, instruction and motivation for students in swimming classes.
- Instructs swimming lessons in accordance with YMCA and supervisor guidelines, having prepared lesson plans accordingly and in advance.
- Regularly demonstrates patience, enthusiasm, and communication abilities to properly motivate participants to achieve their swimming goals.
- Able to effectively teach a class of 1-8 participants of varying ages different swim strokes and water safety techniques.
- Evaluates each participant's performance and provides constructive feedback, including completing attendance, progress, and accident reports if needed.
- Builds effective, authentic relationships with students and parents; helps them connect with each other and the YMCA. Encourages parent involvement and identifies potential volunteers.
- Conveys information on aquatics programs and schedules and as appropriate refers students and parents to other programs.
- Maintains records as required (i.e. attendance, progress reports, awards, etc.).
- Attends staff meetings and training as regularly scheduled.
- Follows all YMCA policies, rules, regulations and procedures, including emergency and safety procedures. Completes incident and accident reports as necessary.
- Organizes and puts away needed class equipment. Reports damaged equipment.
- Trains and supervises class aides as assigned.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- May work at any location and adjust your schedule as to the needs of the association.
- Adhere to association and position training requirements.
- Certifications: CPR for the Professional Rescuer, AED, Basic First Aid certification at time of hire.
- Must be able to demonstrate swim instructor skills in accordance with YMCA standards.
- YMCA Swim Instructor certification or nationally recognized equivalent.
- At least 16 years of age.
WORK ENVIRONMENT & PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to instruct and observe participants in proper stroke techniques.
- Ability to lift equipment, and to lift a small to average size child.
- Strong swimming abilities and knowledge of proper swimming techniques and water safety rules.
YMCA COMPETENCIES (Leader):
Mission Advancement: Accepts and demonstrates the Y’s values. Demonstrates a desire to serve
others and fulfill community needs. Recruits volunteers and builds effective, supportive working relationships with them. Supports fund-raising.
Collaboration: Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions, and
perceptions. Builds rapport and relates well to others. Seeks first to understand the other person’s
point of view, and remains calm in challenging situations. Listens for understanding and meaning;
speaks and writes effectively. Takes initiative to assist in developing others.
Operational Effectiveness: Makes sound judgments, and transfers learning from one situation to
another. Embraces new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better member experience.
Establishes goals, clarifies tasks, plans work and actively participates in meetings. Follows budgeting policies and procedures, and reports all financial irregularities immediately. Strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for members.
Personal Growth: Pursues self-development that enhances job performance. Demonstrates an
openness to change, and seeks opportunities in the change process. Accurately assesses personal feelings, strengths and limitations and how they impact relationships. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.