Knowledge of psychiatric and medical nursing therapy, practices, techniques and procedures.
Skill in planning and organizing nursing care and supplies; in the following oral and written directions; in maintaining therapeutic relationships with parents; and in maintaining effective working relationships with other nursing personnel.
Good knowledge of administration and effects of commonly- used medications, particularly psychotropic medication.
Good knowledge of facilities, services and practitioners in the local medical community.
Ability to develop strong professional relationships with practitioners and other service providers in the local community.
This position is responsible and held accountable for the following duties:
- As prescribed by physicians, administers oral and injectable medications; performs other nursing treatments and procedures in accordance with approved nursing techniques, Oklahoma licensing laws, and physician orders.
- Coordinates care for the clients and maintains relationship with their respective Primary Care Providers to meet the needs of the client, ensuring continuity and quality of care.
- Ensures ROI’s are in place and current for PCP’s and other service providers.
- Maintains consistent contact with consumers served and returns phone calls as necessary.
- Maintains current certification in Therapeutic Options, CPR, and First Aid.
- Works with team to ensure continuity of care is delivered.
- Completes medication profiles and inventories.
- Takes temperature, pulse, blood pressure, and other vital signs to monitor patient progress and to detect reactions to drugs, treatments, and environmental changes; evaluates statues of client through visual examination. Provides client with a list of their medications, goes over dosage, gives directions to ensure accuracy and compliance, and recommends laboratory testing based on diagnosis. Document in clients medical record any other pertinent information. Update physical medications client is taking and document on appropriate form.
- Works with local and contracted pharmacies in completing authorization forms as needed.
- Advises, with assistance of physician, other staff members regarding medical issues and client medications.
- Participates in weekly clinical staff meeting to discuss client diagnoses and treatment plans.
- Employee must be willing and able to perform all job-related travel normally associated with this position.
- Maintains appropriate licensure requirements.
- Performs other reasonably related duties as assigned by the immediate supervisor or other management as requested.
- Participates in staff meetings.
- Regular and predictable attendance is an essentials job requirement.
- Must meet “satisfactory” expectations at any scheduled job performance evaluation.
- Quality of work will be evaluated through training, skill, or special purpose. Must be competent and adequate.
Must perform the specific job duties as listed above to meet position expectations.
In addition, must posses skill in working cooperatively ad effectively with clients, staff, management and other professional groups; in exercising mature judgement in dealing with people; in presenting ideas clearly and accurately; in reading and comprehending the English language; and in communicating effectively, both orally and in writing.
General knowledge of the theories, principals, and process of case management, individuals, marital and family counseling and psychotherapy.
General knowledge of social work and/or psychology and of current social and economic problems.
Skill in administering medication, including giving injections.