Position Type/Expected Hours of Work: – Flexible to the needs of the program – minimum 37.5 - 40 hours a week.
Qualifications: High School Diploma or equivalency required. Experience working with people diagnosed with a developmental and/or intellectual disability preferred. Good oral and written communication skills required. Valid New York State Driver’s License
Work Authorization/Security Clearance: Authorized to work in the United States and pass all background clearances.
Summary/Objective: Assist in the coordination of the total day program for the people we support stressing independence, inclusion and individualization with emphasis on the person’s choice. A person centered philosophy will be maintained. Must be progressive and proactive in providing for, arranging for, supervising and documenting services to people we support to assist with promoting growth toward increasing levels of independence. Complete all required documentation in a timely fashion and in accordance with established agency guidelines and procedures.
Essential Functions: Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions:
- Complete all required documentation in a timely fashion. Ensure that all services are documented and that all documentation is consistent with Waiver requirements and JRC policy and procedure.
- Assist the people we support in achieving their valued outcomes and life goals. Promote the development of functional skills.
- Provide guidance to people we support with community activities; assist in arranging or providing transportation. All support staff shall be cleared by the transportation department to drive an agency vehicle and maintain their driving certification. If hired as non-driver or certification is lost, there will be a reduction in pay.
- Support staff will assist with documenting fire drills as outlined by regulation and departmental procedure.
- Shall communicate all needs of people we support to the QIDP, DSP II and Habilitation Program Coordinator.
- Shall participate in support staff meetings and other discussions regarding program needs and needs of people we support.
- Promote community inclusion and relationships with non-disabled people as the focus of the program.
- Provide adequate protective oversight at all times.
- Maintain a safe, comfortable and appropriate learning environment.
- Assist people we support when crisis intervention may be necessary. Responsible for the implementation and follow through of all ADL, interpersonal skill training and/or support programs for people in the Day Habilitation program, as directed by the QIDP and outlined in each person’s service plans.
- If designated, support staff shall be required to administer medications as directed by physicians’ orders and agency policy after successfully completing the OPWDD approved medication course and be required to maintain said certification.
- Shall attend, and demonstrate proficiency by written examination on all required in-services by achieving 80% competency on the exams.
- Shall report any illness or accident, or changes, or problems in a person’s medical status to the nurse and shall use the appropriate documentation procedure and follow instructions as given.
- Shall write incident reports as defined by Incident Review Procedures.
- Communicate all matters concerning physical plant to the DSP II and Habilitation Program Coordinator.
- Support staff will be required to accept temporary or permanent transfers within the department as necessary, in order to meet the needs of people we support.
- Remain aware of and follow policies and procedures as outlined in the Functional Plan pertinent to the assigned work site.
- Shall perform cleaning duties on a daily basis as required on the cleaning schedule and any other work responsibilities as assigned by the DSP II.
- If designated by the Habilitation Program Coordinator, shall be required to act as designated in charge in the absence of the DSP II.
- Shall be aware of and follow correct procedures for the use of personal money for people we support and program funds for the Day Habilitation program. Ensure proper purchasing of items and correct documentation on all ledgers.
- Participate with bus aide duty, as assigned.
- Provide assistance and behavioral support to ensure safe transport of all people we support.
- Assist people we support on and off the vehicle if required.
- Assist people we support with seat belts when applicable.
- If negative behavioral situations occur during transport, monitor safety in accordance with SCIP-R procedures.
- Assist driver during an emergency as per established emergency guidelines.
- Perform a walk-through of the vehicle at completion of each run to establish all persons and their belongings are off the vehicle.
- When using Agency vehicles to transport people to and from day program or any community activity, support staff will ensure vehicle is clean, wheelchair straps have been placed in proper area and the vehicle is in good repair and operational order. All concerns will be reported to supervisor/administrator and Transportation Department immediately.
- Attend and satisfactorily complete all required in-services, including van certification.
- Ethical Conduct.
- Time Management.
- Organizational Skills.
- Personal Effectiveness/Credibility.
Supervisory Responsibility: N/A
Work Environment: The work environment is a professional clinic where the people we support attend our program services on a daily basis.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; lift; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms. Work may require lifting, pushing, or pulling in excess of 30 pounds.
Other Duties: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice. I have read and received a copy of the above job description and understand the responsibilities fully. I understand that the preceding job description will be reviewed/updated at least annually; more frequent updates will depend on contract needs.
Sign On Bonus Program:
- Sign on Bonus of $300 after 3 months and $350 after 6 months (full time)
- Sign on Bonus of $150 after 3 months and $175 after 6 months (part time)
The Arc Jefferson - St. Lawrence NY is an Equal Opportunity Employer: disabled/veteran.