ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
The Environmental Specialist is responsible for achieving the desired environmental management priorities for the assigned area or region business, including but not limited concrete plants, sand & gravel facilities, aggregates facilities, maintenance shops, and associated off-site activities.
- Manage all aspects of environmental compliance within the assigned area or region.
- Work in cooperation with the operations and other management teams to ensure that all company business is conducted in strict compliance with local, state, and federal regulations pertaining to the environment.
- Support and enforce all Environmental, Health, and Safety (EH&S) programs.
- Support ongoing continuous improvement and sustainability initiatives.
- Interface as the companys representative for environmental issues with all appropriate regulatory agencies and handle all day-to-day communication with them.
- Manage, obtain, and maintain all required local, state, and federal permits, licenses, and other approvals necessary to conduct desired business activities.
- Assist with environmental plan development, maintenance, and implementation, including but not limited to SWPPP, SPCC, and erosion & sediment control plans.
- Manage and assist with the creation of environmental training activities.
- Ensure all environmental sampling, monitoring, testing, inspections, assessments, and record retention is successfully completed.
- Conduct compliance audits and inspections of facilities.
- Oversee all environmental components within the assigned area, including but not limited to treatment systems, best management practices, and other features required by regulatory permits, plans, or internal policies.
- Maintain a high level of knowledge of Federal, state, and local regulations.
- Investigate, resolve, and respond in a timely and courteous manner to all potential environmental or compliance issues, questions, or concerns received from within the company, regulators, or from external stakeholders.
- Participate in public relations with customers, organizations, business contacts, and other stakeholders touched by our business.
- Manage environmental budget and associated costs within the assigned area or region. Assist with the negotiation of contracts and professional services for environmental monitoring, materials, and CAPEX projects.
- Manage projects as assigned by the Director of EH&S. Produce budgets and timetables for projects as assigned and deliver final desired results.
- Assist with environmental feasibility studies on all properties new and existing, which are being considered for acquisition or development.
- Support the management of property on land owned by the company, such as rental homes, and provide maintenance.
- Ensure that all assigned activities are performed in a consistently safe manner.
- Cooperate with the Human Resources Department in the implementation of all company policies and procedures.
- Strengthen and maintain a high morale and team concept throughout the company through implementation and utilization of sound leadership and management principles, in addition to promoting and employing total quality principles to achieve a more efficient and quality workplace.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Volunteer and participate in company events.