POSITION SUMMARY: Under the supervision of the director, the Personal Trainer is responsible for providing high quality personal exercise training, as well as small group training, and conducting physiologically sound, effective and fun training sessions by providing excellent leadership, up-to-date quality instruction and high energy motivation. A key job element is to provide leadership through outstanding customer service to YMCA members and participants. As well he/she must screen individuals' medical histories and current health status to identify major health risk factors; administers fitness assessments and counsels individuals regarding assessment results. Essential Functions/Responsibilities:
- Develop friendly, professional relationships with members and participants
- Adapt training level to meet the objectives of the participants offering a variety of intensity modifications as needed
- Instruct members in the strength training principles, training procedures, and exercise techniques
- Teach members the proper and preferred use of all the strength training equipment
- Provide individual supervision and reinforcement during members’ training sessions
- Promote Personal Training through personal example and member interaction
- Help maintain a neat, clean and pleasant environment on the Wellness floor
- Attend scheduled Wellness Coach/Personal Trainer staff meetings and participates inappropriate workshops
- Stay current on fitness concepts and ideas
- Attend continuing education courses and mandatory trainings
- Remain alert and attentive to participants
- Encourage member involvement and support and promote other YMCA classes
- Relay YMCA policies, programs, and event information to participants
- Operate all equipment properly and promptly report any problems
- Follow all YMCA policies, rules, regulations, and procedures, including emergency procedures.
- Maintain required certifications
- Personal Training certification from a nationally recognized vendor
- Must possess current CPR/AED/FIRST AID certification within 60 days of hire
- Must complete Child Abuse Prevention & Risk Management training within association timeline.
- Must obtain and remain compliant with all training standards assigned by the YMCA of the USA and YMCA.
- Ability to effectively communicate with members, staff, peers, volunteers, and supervisor; ability to effectively communicate information on YMCA health and wellness programs.
- Ability to respond to safety and emergency situations.
- 1 year of experience teaching fitness classes/personal training
- Flexible work schedule, including evenings and weekends
PERSONAL TRAINER PRINCIPLE ACTIVITIES:
- Monitor the fitness room as fitness members use the exercise equipment
- Motivate and educate fitness members in leading healthy lifestyles
- Greet and acknowledge all members
- Get to know members
- Connect with members using Listen First techniques and Activate America
- Motivate and educate fitness members
- Offer information on proper use of exercise equipment
- Establish a healthy emotional environment to impact adherence
- Understand the prevention, detection, and treatment of musculoskeletal injuries, basic emergency procedures, and the legal and professional responsibilities of wellness coaches
- Take initiative to sell Personal Training during Wellness Coach shifts and member interactions
- Integrate the mission of the YMCA and follow the core values of honesty, caring, respect and responsibility into the healthy living aspect of job responsibilities
- Assist and help train Health & Wellness Interns
- Take professional initiative to promote personal training, clinics and all wellness relate opportunities
- Maintain accountability to your duties
- Support in the retention of member
- All other duties assigned by your supervisor
- Actively participates in membership growth.
- Adheres to association and position training requirements.
- Participates in annual fundraising.
- Work various hours and locations to meet association needs.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the manager.
- Minimum 18 years of age
- CPR/AED/First Aid Certified within 60 days of hire
- Personal Trainer Certification from nationally recognized vendor at time of hire
- Orientation to Healthy Living at the Y to be completed within 60 days of hire
- New Staff Orientation required within 60 days of hire
- Child Abuse Prevention Training required within 60 days of hire
- Experience in fitness instruction/Personal Training
- Bachelors degree preferred
- Interpersonal communication skills required
- Ability to work with youth and adults from beginner to advanced levels of fitness experience
- Must have the physical, visual and auditory ability to perform the essential functions of the job
- Must be able to lift at least 45 pounds
- Personal Trainer must abide by YMCA policies, procedures and guidelines
- Complete incident reports as necessary
YMCA COMPETENCIES (Leader):
Mission Advancement: Accepts and demonstrates the Ys values. Demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Recruits volunteers and builds effective, supportive working relationships with them. Supports fund-raising.
Collaboration: Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions, and perceptions. Builds rapport and relates well to others. Seeks first to understand the other person’s point of view, and remains calm in challenging situations. Listens for understanding and meaning; speaks and writes effectively. Takes initiative to assist in developing others.
Operational Effectiveness: Makes sound judgments, and transfers learning from one situation to another. Embraces new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better member experience. Establishes goals, clarifies tasks, plans work and actively participates in meetings. Follows budgeting policies and procedures, and reports all financial irregularities immediately. Strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for members.
Personal Growth: Pursues self-development that enhances job performance. Demonstrates an openness to change, and seeks opportunities in the change process. Accurately assesses personal feelings, strengths and limitations and how they impact relationships. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.