Better Business Bureau Northwest + Pacific is the largest BBB in North America, serving nearly 20 million people and more than 20,000 accredited businesses across Alaska, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Washington, Western Wyoming and the greater Denver area. We pride ourselves on creating an open and collaborative culture where innovation and new ideas are encouraged.
The communications director is responsible for the development, integration and implementation of a broad range of public relations activities relative to the strategic direction and positioning of the organization and its leadership, including but not limited to executing strategic communications plans, leading regional community initiatives, and managing a high-performing, remote-based team of public relations professionals for Better Business Bureau Northwest + Pacific.
This seasoned, solution-oriented PR expert thrives in a team environment. They must possess a sophisticated understanding of media relations with an ability to maintain positive and productive relationships with media members, influencers and community leaders.
The ideal candidate has extensive experience supervising a team. They should be a self-starter who can work independently and handle creative direction/feedback.
Key roles include:
Media and Public Relations
- Lead and execute a comprehensive media relations strategy for BBB across its eight-state territory.
- Guide a remote team to develop news pitches, press releases and feature stories promoting BBB and its network of accredited businesses to support our mission of advancing marketplace trust.
- Serve as a primary media contact and chief spokesperson for BBB, including on issues requiring crisis management.
- Collaborate with marketing to produce a consumer-facing communications calendar.
- Partner with BBB’s investigations team to produce relevant news releases and story pitches sent to targeted media outlets.
- Oversee internal and external communications and messaging to ensure consistent voice.; uphold the quality and accuracy of all communications shared with the public.
- Oversee regional advisory committees, sponsorships, community partnerships and any other outreach initiatives driven by the PR and communications team.
- Work with marketing to develop and implement communications plans for organizational announcements, events and initiatives.
- Manage and assist with public speaking engagements, presentations and all other community-facing activities.
Team Management and Development
- Lead, develop and support BBB’s PR and communications team.
- Define team guidelines, dashboards, budgets and employee performance evaluations.
- Prepare reports and track metrics to monitor team performance.
- Analyze and assess team productivity and efficiency, aligning team activities with the overall marketing and communications strategy.