Resources for the Future (RFF) is an independent, nonprofit research institution in Washington, DC. Our mission is to improve environmental, energy, and natural resource decisions through impartial economic research and policy engagement.
RFF’s Staff Writer/Reporter will help identify, pitch, and write articles for RFF’s Common Resources blog and Resources magazine, paying particular attention to how current environmental and energy economics research has relevance to news events in the United States and globally. The Staff Writer/Reporter also may have the opportunity to support production of the Resources Radio podcast.
- Web Content Coordination (60%):
- Write and edit for the Common Resources blog. Produce posts that run the gamut of timely, regularly scheduled, and priority articles. Help maintain editorial quality, accuracy, style, and branding standards.
- Keep up with relevant news that can serve as jumping-off points for other research-related RFF content on the web, including social media, newsletters, real-time news articles, and other digital content.
- Develop ongoing relationships with story subjects.
- As needed for digital content, select and refine any associated visual components, such as photos, figures, and tables.
- Magazine Production (30%):
- Provide writing and editorial support for Resources magazine. Help maintain its editorial quality, accuracy, style, and branding standards.
- Draft research-based articles for Resources magazine. Copyedit content, proofread content in layout, conduct photo research, and assist in other aspects of production as needed, working with the Managing Editor. Prepare content for distribution on website, on social media, and via email.
- Serve as a liaison between breaking news and storytelling. Help maintain variety among magazine articles.
- Other Editorial Support (10%):
- Provide editorial assistance with Resources Radio podcast, including brainstorming potential podcast guests, topics, and series ideas.
- Build and maintain a knowledge base about research and current events related to energy, environmental economics, climate, and the environment, advising editorial team on significant developments in the news and in RFF research that may warrant coverage in the magazine or blog.
- Provide communications support otherwise as needed, including light administrative duties.