The Building for Success Director leads United Way of Southwestern PAs work to help children and youth achieve success in school and life, particularly through early childhood engagement, out of school time programming, and connections to resources to successfully graduate from high school and pursue post-secondary options. Working in collaboration with corporate and civic leaders, foundation leaders, service providers, and other United Way staff, the Building for Success Director shapes and manages a diverse portfolio of grants to agencies, community partnerships and community change and policy initiatives to achieve measurable success for the target population. The Building for Success Director will support and mentor a small team of direct reports, work collaboratively across all United Way departments, have deep respect for diversity and a strong commitment to equity, and embody a creative and solutions-oriented approach.
- Provide leadership and direction for United Ways work to shape systems and initiatives to reduce barriers, especially related to race, gender and ability, for children and youth build opportunities to succeed in school and in life.
- Understand and raise awareness of current research and activity in the field and systems and policy landscape related to children and youth, including innovative partnerships and service delivery models.
- Build strong partnerships, collaborate with regional leaders, and engage key stakeholders, including partner agencies, to develop innovative strategies and investments to create meaningful community change.
- Lead and engage corporate leaders and other external volunteers with the work of United Way.
- Hire and supervise staff to assist with direct oversight of the portfolio of investments and initiatives to ensure that goals and objectives are met and technical assistance and guidance to overcome any barriers to success.
- Work closely with other members of the United Way Community Impact Team, including 2-1-1 staff, to develop and leverage opportunities to better address human service needs in Southwestern PA.
- Prepare funding proposals and reports on accomplishments and outcomes and work closely with the United Ways Donor Relations, Volunteer Initiatives and Marketing teams to clearly and respectfully convey community needs and effective solutions. This includes aggregating statistical and service data obtained via on-line applications and reports completed by providers.
- Prepare and monitor departmental budgets and steward donor and foundation dollars with transparency, effectiveness, efficiency, and accountability.
- Advocate for issues pertaining to Building for Success in School and Life to business leaders, elected officials, and other decision makers and stakeholders as part of the overall United Way of Southwestern PAs business strategy.
- Work with regional United Way directors and partners as needed to meet the regional expectations of initiatives and support the expansion of projects and initiatives to include the full United Way of Southwestern PA footprint.
People Management Responsibilities
- Support and mentor a small team of direct reports (1-2 Community Impact Managers)
- Work closely with other members of the Community Impact Team to develop and execute the RFP process for allocation of funds.
- Create and monitor budgets for Building for Success initiatives, programs, and agency allocations.