About the Bender JCC:
The Bender Jewish Community Center in Rockville, Maryland is a premier community center at the heart of Jewish life in Montgomery County, operating a full-scale health and fitness center, pre-school, day camp and variety of education and arts programs.
We create a welcoming and inclusive environment, connecting the people of our Jewish community with each other, Israel, and the broader community. We inspire individuals of all ages and backgrounds to enhance their social, physical, intellectual and spiritual well-being through programs of excellence rooted in Jewish values.
The Bender JCC embraces and welcomes the diversity of our community and encourages everyone to seek meaning and fulfillment by participating in our rich programming inspired by our Jewish heritage. We open our doors to everyone, including people of all backgrounds, religions, abilities and sexual orientations, and interfaith couples and families.
Our core values are
- Welcoming and inclusive (Hachnassat Orchim) – We open our doors to everyone and strive to create an inclusive and accommodating environment for people of different backgrounds, abilities and means.
- Respect (Kavod) – We seek to create a town square where our community can be exposed to diverse viewpoints and grapple with difficult issues in a respectful and civil manner.
- Jewish Peoplehood (Klal Yisrael) – We create connections to the people, history, culture, and land of Israel and with the Jewish people as a whole, welcoming all Jewish traditions and backgrounds.
- Community (Kehilla) – We facilitate relationship building and a sense of belonging to create communities across all stages of life.
- Working together (B’yachad) – We partner and collaborate with Jewish and secular organizations to build a stronger community.
- Wellness (Shmirat HaNefesh v’HaGuf) – We promote the well-being and fitness of every person.
- Spirit (Ruach) – We infuse spirit and fun into our activities and programs.
Why this role matters:
Our preschool teachers are essential to the Bender JCC, creating a warm, engaging, and safe environment and community for our students. Our substitute teachers provide coverage in classrooms when Bender JCC teaching staff are absent, for short term or long term absences. This is an exciting opportunity to work directly with our community and have a significant impact on the experience of our preschool families.
- Complying with supervision, direction, and mentoring by the lead teacher, assistant teacher, and preschool leadership.
- Supporting the daily plan under the direction of the lead teacher and coordinating with other support staff who may work in the classroom.
- Supporting the educational experience of the students and their families in line with the school philosophy.
- Communicating with classroom staff concerning incidents and issues in the classroom.
- Being aware of student allergies and other health issues.
- Attending to the personal hygiene of students, as needed, including, but not limited to, changing soiled clothes and diapers.
- Preparing snacks for the classroom.
- Maintaining the all areas neat and clean
- Leaving only when children are in the care of an authorized adult.
- Working as scheduled by office staff or classroom staff
- Taking part in the daily clean-up of the room, which includes but is not limited to, putting all toys and equipment away, making sure all food items are wrapped and put away in accordance to licensing, and wiping down the tables and chairs.
- Following the sign in and time reporting processes as established by the preschool and the Bender JCC.
- Reading, understanding, and adhering to the information in the Bender ECC Handbook and Bender JCC Staff Handbook.