Job Description: ESL Teacher
Guadalupe Centers Charter Schools are a free, open enrollment, public charter school currently serving students in grades Pre-K-12. Guadalupe Centers Charter Schools are part of the Guadalupe Educational System, Inc. (GES) under Guadalupe Centers, Inc. It is sponsored by the University of Central Missouri. The vision of GES is to empower students to succeed in college and their chosen professions by providing a rigorous and enriching learning experience that develops highly educated, socially conscious, culturally competent, contributing members of society.
Summary: The ESL Teacher must be a committed educational leader responsible for using leadership, supervisory and administrative skills to assist the principal in promoting the educational development of each student, and must have a passion for working with children from diverse backgrounds in an urban setting.
Reports To: Building Principal and Director of ESL
Essential Duties & Responsibilities: Other duties may be assigned.
- Maintains own ESL classroom
- Assists secondary ELL students in developing their academic language proficiency skills in Speaking, Writing, Interaction, Reading and Listening.
- Develops appropriate lesson plans.
- Assigns appropriate lessons and homework with timely feedback.
- Instructs students through modeling, guided practice & free practice, while providing appropriate language supports for comprehensible input and achievable student output.
- Prepares course outlines & objectives according to state and local curriculum guidelines.
- Develops and administers assessments.
- Maintains student attendance and achievement records.
- Evaluates student progress and takes responsibility for student achievement.
- Maintains discipline in the classroom, along with a safe, encouraging, student-centered learning environment.
- Works with content teachers and provides support (including comprehensible input & scaffolder outputs) for ELL students in various clustered content settings for part of the day.
- Implements and promotes differentiated instruction, so that ELLs in the school are able to access the curriculum in order to pass classes toward graduation progress.
- Oversees the social, emotional, academic and linguistic progress of ELLs and works with students, various members of the staff and parents to provide the best solutions for students.
- Advocates for the educational equity of ELLs.
- Implements directives from the ESL Director in a timely manner.
- Participates in building-wide efforts to give the WIDA (World-Class Instructional Design & Assessment).
- Participates in faculty and professional meetings, educational conferences, and teacher training workshops.
- Selects, stores, orders, issues and inventories classroom equipment, materials and supplies.
Application Process: PLEASE COMPLETE AN APPLICATION WHICH MAY BE FOUND AT WWW.GUADALUPECENTERS.ORG UNDER EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITIES. IF A POSITION REQUIRES A DEGREE, PLEASE ATTACH COPY OF TRANSCRIPTS/AND OR/ DEGREE CERTIFICATE TO YOUR APPLICATION. OTHER ATTACHMENTS SUCH AS COVER LETTER OR RESUME CAN ALSO BE UPLOADED AND ATTACHED TO THE APPLICATION.
Guadalupe Centers, Inc. conforms to all the laws, statutes, and regulations concerning equal employment opportunities and affirmative action. We strongly encourage women, minorities individuals with disabilities and veterans to apply to all of our job openings. We are Equal Opportunity Employer, who fully and actively supports equal access for all qualified applicants, regardless of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability status, Genetic Information or Testing, Family & Medical Leave, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law, and prohibits retaliation against individuals who bring forth any complaint, orally or in writing, to the employer or the government, or against any individuals who assist or participate in the investigation of any complaint, or otherwise oppose discrimination.