Performs diagnostic laboratory tests in the areas of chemistry, hematology, urinalysis, immunohematology, microbiology, serology and coagulation. Is also responsible for obtaining appropriate blood and body fluid samples from patients.
- Uses established methods and techniques for laboratory analysis.
- Adheres to strict safety regulations insuring appropriate protection against blood borne pathogens and other infectious agents for the laboratory staff, the hospital staff and the patient.
- Maintains strict quality control checks on all instrument, test kits and microorganisms used in laboratory analysis.
- Follows established procedures and protocol for all test results which fall into the critical value category.
- Maintains competency in:
- Routine patient test performance as well as patient preparation, specimen handling and processing.
- Recording and reporting of test results.
- Instrument maintenance and function checks.
- Exhibits problem solving skills and attention to detail during daily laboratory operation.
- Participates in proficiency testing as assigned and in a timely manner.
- Maintains Idaho State licensure competency by meeting required continuing education standards annually.
Insures the appropriateness, timeliness and integrity of laboratory specimens and test results.
- Interfaces with physicians to insure that orders, both written and verbal, are followed appropriately and in a timely manner.
- Interfaces with all clinical and allied health disciplines to insure that specimen requests, timetables for specimen collections and appropriate reporting mechanisms are in place and implemented.
- Offers assistance to physicians and clinical/allied health disciplines in the requisitioning, collection and analysis which is not conducted within the institution.
- Insures the integrity and timeliness of specimens which must be referred to other laboratories for analysis which is not conducted within the institution.
- Documents environmental controls and indicators for safety, temperature and humidity to verify the integrity of specimen.
- Assigns and documents a unique accessioning system to insure the individuality of specimens and eliminate misidentification of patients and/or specimens.
- Maintains on-going quality assurance in the testing/patient arenas.
Cooperates in the operation of a 24 hour 7 day laboratory operation.
- Maintains productivity during stats and high volume demands with a minimum of personal and/or non-work interferences.
- Displays flexibility in work schedule to meet the demands of the laboratory and the staff.
- Assists in the training and indoctrination of new laboratory employees. Maintains direct observation of employees in departments as assigned.
- Assumes responsibility in the establishment and implementation of new methodologies and new test kits in assigned areas.
- Assumes the quality control responsibilities for the area in the laboratory which coincides with and reflects the expertise and/or specialty background of the technologist.
- Will participate in and contribute to the Antibiotic Stewardship program.
At Director’s discretion, may serve as support and resource for all Laboratory Information Systems.
- Provide implementation and maintenance of the Laboratory Information System.
- Perform all validation procedures and maintain all necessary documentation.
- Maintain test tables, dictionaries and interfaces.
- Assist with training of new employees on Laboratory Information System.
- Write and maintain LIS procedures to include documentation and review of CAP check lists annually for CAP inspection.
- Test and implement new instrument interfaces and reference interfaces.
- Test and implement computer upgrades in a timely manner in coordination with all hospital department.
- Maintain the report format for laboratory testing.
- Maintain the Data Innovations middleware on the Laboratory side.
- Work with IT to customize reports to fit the needs of the Laboratory and Medical Staff.
- Assist Laboratory Director to update Charge Codes and CPT changes to include Medicare/Medicaid changes.
- Assist Laboratory Director to monitor the LIS for billing discrepancies to insure correct billing for customers.
Shows good critical thinking and troubleshooting skills.
- Other duties as assigned. Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for their job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.