The Horticulture Specialist is responsible for day-to-day involvement in the growing of plants and implementation of reliable growing processes, including pesticide applications, irrigation, temperature, growing media, fertilization, nutrition, and monitoring the overall health of plants. This position will allow one to impact others through a service mindset centered on making an eternal difference. This position should display our Core Values of SERVE (Serve, Equip, Relate, Value, Engage) when interfacing with both internal and external customers to ensure that the message and mission of Answers in Genesis is portrayed in an effective and God-honoring fashion. This position provides opportunities for spiritual, personal, and professional development.
- Promotes the mission and standards of Answers in Genesis.
- Create a SERVE culture environment in all work done.
- Approach all tasks with a second-mile mindset
- Prioritize personal integrity in all interactions and assignments
- Performs assigned grower functions such as crop scheduling, IPM, seed sowing, cutting propagation, transplanting, potting, watering, fertilizing, pinching, etc. Takes whatever action is necessary to insure timely and healthy propagation and finishing of crops assigned, in collaboration with the Horticulture staff.
- Assists in planning, implementing, and monitoring a fertilizer program including the safe handling of chemicals.
- Looks after the welfare of the greenhouse facilities and equipment and assists in the maintenance of equipment.
- Schedules, trains and supervises other staff and volunteers assigned to the Greenhouse.
- Explains and enforces safety regulations.
- Collaborates with Horticulture staff to determine seasonal needs for each site then grow accordingly.
- Assists in creating new and unique displays to be used at site.
- Knowledge of MS Office, including Word, Excel, Outlook and TEAMS.
- Maintains records of crop activities and observations, including pesticide applications and growth records.
- Assist Grounds Maintenance and Site Development teams as needed (i.e. Christmas lights, snow removal, etc.)
- And all other duties and responsibilities as assigned by management.