This position is for applicants living in Oakland, CA area.
Benetech is a technology nonprofit that develops software for social good. We are the developer of Bookshare, the worlds largest digital library with over one million accessible books available in 94 countries and over 60 languages. Our work transforms how information is made accessible so that everyone can learn, work, and pursue their dreams.
Attracting candidates from all backgrounds
Our users come from all kinds of communities, and so do we. We hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds, not just because its the right thing to do, but because it makes our organization stronger in delivering social impact. We encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, including people of color, veterans, LGBTQ+ people and people with disabilities.
Research shows that women and people from underrepresented groups often only apply to jobs if they meet all of the qualifications. We know there are great candidates who might not check all of these boxes or who possess important skills we have not thought of. If that is you, do not hesitate to apply and tell us about yourself.
Benetech/Bookshare is seeking a motivated individual to join us as a part-time Outreach Consultant based in Oakland, CA. As part of our Bookshare Outreach team, you will work directly with Oakland Public Schools to increase Bookshare usage across the district. This is a relationship-focused position, requiring you to have strong interpersonal skills, a strong commitment to equity in literacy, the ability to empathize with people of varied experiences, and an appreciation for community-centered solutions.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Identify and foster relationships with key personnel in both school districts.
- Identify and foster relationships with community leaders and organizers who support students and schools.
- Foster relationships with parents/guardians of students served under this initiative.
- Develop and lead educational programs designed to create awareness of Bookshare for both educators and parents, as well as identify students who would benefit from utilizing Bookshare.
Required Skills and Qualifications:
- Currently live in Oakland, CA
- Strong interpersonal and communications skills
- Experience facilitating small groups and seminars
- Prior teaching experience and/or experience working in a K-12 school district
- Ability to meet deadlines, and handle and prioritize simultaneous requests
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Ability to learn in a fast-paced environment
- Mission-driven with an interest in the Oakland community
- Experience supporting students or individuals with disabilities (preferred)
- Bachelors degree in education, social work, or communication (preferred)
People at Benetech believe strongly in its mission, and we work hard to embody our Truths each day. We would be delighted to hire someone who feels drawn to this mission as well.
Please include a short cover letter describing why this position and our mission particularly resonates with you.