Title: Director, Learning Programs
Position Type: Full-Time
Location: Washington, DC
What we do and offer our team
AGU is a global community of 130,000 Earth and space scientists, advocates and experts. As the Director, Learning Programs , you will support a dynamic association that publishes peer-reviewed journals and scientific books and convenes the largest Earth and space science meeting in the world. Through our initiatives, such as mentoring, professional development and awards, AGU upholds and fosters an inclusive and diverse scientific community.
AGU offers our employees great benefits, including flexible work schedules, retirement savings options, as well as health, dental, life and disability insurance. AGU also provides exciting opportunities for professional development and tuition support.
AGU’s Workplace Values
We believe in accountability and ownership of work, by taking responsibility for decisions and results. We believe in member and customer service, and that they come first through providing high quality service.
We believe in excellence and giving it our all, through striving to be outstanding. We believe in integrity by doing the right thing, we achieve this by being honest and fair.
Our teams believe that with teamwork together we achieve more, we achieve this through collaboration. We believe in respect, that you earn it and give it, by open communication and collaboration.
What the Director, Learning Programs does
The Director, Learning Programs works with the VP, Meetings & Learning to lead the design/development, roll-out, and management of AGU’s learning initiative. This includes participating in and supporting the strategic planning process, developing sub strategies and business plans, conducting market research and validation, designing and testing product concepts, and delivering service offerings where AGU can uniquely deliver value.
The Director, Learning Programs is responsible for collaborating to establish and achieving revenue and enrollment targets for the learning products and programs within their portfolio. Additionally, this position works collaboratively to support grant and development opportunities for learning programs and participate in the development of content strategies for the organization.
• Works with senior management to determine development and training strategy including revenue and enrollment targets.
• Works with senior management to develop a strategy and implementation plan to define AGU as a learning organization.
• Co-leads, with guidance from VP, Meetings and Learning, in development and execution of learning strategy and roadmap for programs and partnerships.
• Builds business and implementation plans for product and program development and delivery in accord with strategies and established performance targets.
• Designs, creates, and facilitates learning product and program to meet the expressed needs of Earth and space scientists in areas specified in strategic plan.
• Develops materials, programs, and tools to support educational objectives in partnership with the Vice President of Meetings and Learning.
• Redesigns, customizes, and enhances existing education and training programs to build scientific skills and competencies in the Earth and space sciences.
• Conducts market research to identify and analyzes opportunities for course development and delivery; creates solutions consistent with business realities.
• Develops, maintains, and oversees vendor relationships including logistics, content development, delivery, and e-technology.
• Collects and analyzes appropriate data to gauge progress and to improve process performance, perform evaluations and recommend improvements at the product and program level
• Conducts periodic program reviews to ensure alignment of program objectives to outcomes.
• Develops and manages budgets.
• Other duties as assigned.
What the Director, Learning Programs brings to the team
• 10+ years with BS/BA; 8+ years with MS/MA; MBA degree is preferred.
• Professional certifications in education, talent development, etc. is a plus.
• Experience with designing and delivering training and development, learning, and/or continuing education courses required.
• Experience in the development of learning outcomes and instructional design for in-person, blended, and online learning.
• Experience with budget management, prioritization of projects and management of resources.
• Experience with managing contractor and vendor relationships.
• Experience integrating of learning systems with online communities, membership databases and other association systems.
• Experience with managing a professional certification program is highly desirable.
• Experience in marketing / business development is a plus.
• Strategic thinking and ability to independently translate vision and aspirations into executable plans.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills and the ability to communicate easily and effectively with both internal and external audiences.
• Breadth of knowledge in training and development, learning, and/or continuing education.
• Understanding of Earth and space sciences preferred.
• Basic knowledge of physical scientific methodologies and terminology is highly desirable.
• Demonstrated training facilitation skills (training, workshops, and group meetings).
• Strong public speaking skills.
• Demonstrated leadership skills including track record of managing projects from kickoff through completion, and budget control.
• Strong computer skills to include word processing and spreadsheet software.
• Demonstrated effective, on-time/on-budget project management skills.
• Excellent change management and presentation skills.
• Ability to facilitate meetings efficiently, effectively, and independently.
• Ability to prioritize and handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
• Active participation in industry conferences, such as Association for Talent Development (ATD) preferred.
• Passion for skills development through continuing education and professional certification, and demonstrated solutions delivery.
• Must be capable of exercising highest level of discretion on both internal and external confidential matters.
• Ability to travel.
For consideration, please submit your cover letter and resume to
The successful candidate for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check and verification of vaccination against COVID-19 by the date of hire as a condition of employment, subject to requests for any legally required accommodation.
AGU proudly offers a casual work environment, excellent compensation, generous work-life opportunities, and an outstanding benefits package.
AGU is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.