Title: Publications Intern
Position Type: Full-Time Paid Internship (3-month assignment)
Location: Washington, DC
What we do and offer our team
AGU is a global community of 130,000 Earth and space scientists, advocates and experts. As the Publications Intern, you will be part of a dynamic association that publishes peer-reviewed journals and scientific books and convenes the largest Earth and space science meeting in the world. Through our initiatives, such as mentoring, professional development and awards, AGU upholds and fosters an inclusive and diverse scientific community.
AGU offers our employees great benefits, including flexible work schedules, retirement savings options, as well as health, dental, life and disability insurance. AGU also provides exciting opportunities for professional development and tuition support.
AGU’s Workplace Values
We believe in accountability and ownership of work, by taking responsibility for decisions and results. We believe in member and customer service, and that they come first through providing high quality service.
We believe in excellence and giving it our all, through striving to be outstanding. We believe in integrity by doing the right thing, we achieve this by being honest and fair.
Our teams believe that with teamwork together we achieve more, we achieve this through collaboration. We believe in respect, that you earn it and give it, by open communication and collaboration.
What the Publications Intern does
Working within the AGU Publications department, this intern will provide support and contribute to tasks and initiatives that helps fulfil AGU's mission and strategic plans, while gaining knowledge about the editorial operations and development of scientific publishing.
• Work closely with journal teams on the daily operations for one to two AGU journals, including processing manuscripts and performing basic quality checks
• Attend journal editorial board calls and team meetings to communicate with editors, understand their concerns, and collaborate on solutions
• Learn about current issues in scientific publications and work on strategic projects that contributes to established priorities of increasing submissions, increasing accessibility and diversity, and creating more immersive editor experiences
What the Publications Intern brings to the team
• Associate Degree, Undergraduate student, a graduate student, or a recent graduate. Preferred majors include Earth or space sciences or an allied physical or natural science, publishing, journalism, marketing, data science, communications, English.
• Proven ability to manage time to ensure all tasks are completed by deadline.
• Ability to exercise sound judgment about when to take action and when to seek guidance.
• Ability to communicate effectively and appropriately, responding in a timely manner; speak and write clearly, concisely and with impact.
• Excellent customer service and interpersonal skills.
• Demonstrated attention to detail.
• Excellent computer skills including strong understanding of, Adobe Acrobat, and Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook.
For consideration, please submit your cover letter and resume.
The successful candidate for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
AGU proudly offers a casual work environment, excellent compensation, generous work-life opportunities, and an outstanding benefits package.
AGU is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.